Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 March 2010
This book appealed because it didn't seem shy to explain grammar. I soon found that it was a half-baked grammar interspersed with overly ambitious dialogues and very difficult exercises.

There are literally dozens of typos. When I wrote to the publisher about this, I was told that they are commissioning new authors to write a brand new book. I think that says all we need to know.

These things having been said, I enjoyed learning the kanji that are introduced bit by bit.
on 16 July 2011
This book could have been on of the best starter books available. I like Colloquial far more than Teach Yourself and this book is way better than the new "Complete Japanese" from Teach Yourself.

Unfortunately there are many typos which I found confusing. As such I only gave it 4 stars. The best book is still "Japanese for Everyone" by Gakken in my opinion though if they sort out the typos this would be a close second.
66 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2010

on 21 March 2008
The introduction of the kana, hiragana and kanji is at best messy, there are mistakes in the text and when often when trying to find the relevant kanji in the index one has to revert to using a dictionary. The idea is good but it gives the impression of being written hastily without regard for serious students of the language.
on 3 November 2005
Excellent. Graded kana introduction in first few chapters is perfect. Almost all basic grammar contained and many kanji. In fact this book has all that jap for busy people 1,2 and 3 have and that is the probelm. Its too fast, the grammar doesn't sink deep enough and your vocab is too thin. So to all beginning students buy this book, as well as JFBP they should complement each other perfectly.
on 5 June 2006
Great because its focuses on helping people comes to grasp with the wriiten script of Japanese and also the tape helps to improve the speaking of Japanese. i would recommend this course for begineers not first grade begineers but people who have some ideas and phrases