5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro for the complete beginner

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for
Published on 3 Jan 2010 by Mr. G. Trew

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Colloquial Arabic of Egypt (Colloquial Series) (Paperback)
I have been a fan of the authors' work for sometime now, particularly their version of Michel Thomas' method (Check out the Arabic version they did, it is excellent). This book is a bit airy-fairy and I can't get into it. It isn't really what I wanted; somewhere to bring together my own airy-fairy Arabic that I have picked up over the last 10 years. I wanted a book to go over the Egyptian colloquial arabic and concentrate on things that I would NEED should I go there. This is half that, but not engaging or snappy enough to hold my audience very long and it inevitably goes back on the shelf after half an hour. Disappointing but might suit some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro for the complete beginner, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: Colloquial Arabic of Egypt (Colloquial Series) (Paperback)
I have written a separate review for the CD set, which says it all. The book would be fine as a stand-alone, but the CDs certainly help (despite the issue I raise in the other review). The course is logical, easy to use and generally hard to fault, though I think it's worth learning the Arabic script before you start and using this from the word go. You'll also need a dictionary as the word list in this book is very limited. The Rough Guide Egyptian phrasebook is probably the most handy to use and covers most of the words you're likely to need (and meet in the book), and there are online translation sites for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book if you learn already egyptian arabic, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Colloquial Arabic of Egypt (Colloquial Series) (Paperback)
you learn more about talking situations with this book. i do miss writing at the beginning already. but generally good!

Colloquial Arabic of Egypt (Colloquial Series)
Colloquial Arabic of Egypt (Colloquial Series) by Mahmoud Gaafar (Paperback - 27 Nov 2003)
23.42