Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 November 2003
I recently enrolled on a course in International Economics, one year leading to an MSC. My bachelors consited of politics and economic policy. The level of mathematics on the MSC was daunting, particulary since I hadn't touched math for over 6 years at GCSE level. I read book after book but nothing made the slightest sense. Then I found this in the library this afternoon. By 1pm I was deriving marginal revenue curves from cost functions. By 4pm I was comfortable with the product, chain and quotient rule, and with applying them. The clarity of this book cannot be overstated, the fact that it never leaves sight of the application of the math to economic problems means it avoids the abstract explanations of more generic texts. This book will arm you with some very powerful tools with which to attack economic problems, and arm you with them very quickly indeed.
on 22 October 2015
I was a teacher of mathematics for some 31 years at many levels and I was appalled to see the sample questions and answers given. My stepson is very keen on economics but does not have a good mathematical background as I only inherited him late in his life. He is now at university and has been told to use this book for the course.

Many of the questions are ill defined. For example, in one it talks as though an annual calculation is to be made, but the answer given is in fact a monthly sum but this is not indicated in the answer. In another, the question asks for the average cost of some goods, but the answer given in the total cost. The list goes on.

The effect of all this is to make him think he is failing when in fact he is doing quite well, but he is not able to see that. I only hope the questions in his examination are better thought out than those in this book!!!!
on 3 November 2015
Poor choice of book for University syllabus.

The book is full of mistakes and poorly worded questions.

This is only the second edition of the book but it is quite clear that this book has not been scrutinised diligently and for me lacks a lot of credibility.

Having said this i am thankful to the author for taking time to write such a book because it is needed in this field, however i place a high standard on all content that is published because they always have a lot of time to correct mistakes and review the content they are putting out.

2 out of 5 starts from me i'm afraid.
on 2 October 2008
Why do professors & universities recommend textbooks that assume we already know and as though we just took math last semester. Textbook writers should write in more plain English as this book does, I thought the purpose of math was for us to focus on the math equations not the language, in my opinion that's what English literature books are for. If you are having problem with math, this is the book for you
on 20 February 2012
The item was as described, good quality and price. very fast delivery. great seller. thank you very much!!! would like to buy from you next time