5.0 out of 5 stars The book really helped me through my grief when my baby died, 27 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: When A Baby Dies: The Experience of Late Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Neonatal Death (Paperback)
I read the previous version of this book the week after my baby died and it really helped to know there were other parents out there who had been through what I was experiencing - and more importantly that they had survived. Hearing the accounts of their baby's death in their own words and their experiences of grief made me feel much less isolated.
This new version is even better as it has up to date medical information about the possible causes of baby death (at all different stages of pregnancy and shortly after birth). This can be particularly important when thinking of a next pregnancy if you are lucky enough to be able to do this.
It helped me to work through "Why" my daughter died and to decide "When" and "If" I was brave enough to try again.
Please read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really helped me, 10 Oct 2001
As a first time mum who had a son stillborn earlier this year this book has been a life saver for me and my husband. I've read it over and over and there always seems to be something new and relevant to how I'm feeling on that day. Losing a child is possibly the worst thing to happen to anybody and even though people's sympathies are with you it is only by reading about other people's experiences that you don't feel so alone. It is thoughtful and not at all prescriptive. Everybody's grief is different and this book perfectly illustrates that. It has a good reference section on causes of stillbirth and gave me more information than my consultant! It is well balanced between practical issues like the funeral, stages of grieving and finally about trying for another baby so there is something for every stage that you will go through. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I needed it but glad I found it..., 19 Nov 2003
Should you or anyone you know be in the misfortunate sitation of having a baby die then this book is for you.
It not only covers how many people feel after their baby has died it also contains a lot of information which may be relevant. I like to say it is a very 'British' book, precise and too the point and not waffley overly sentimental as some other 'foreign' books can be.
My son was sadly stillborn in October 2002 and I have referred to this book many times in the last year and sadly have had reason to pass it on to others. It is my intention to raise money for our local hospital in order to purchase a number of copies of this book so that when a baby dies they will be able to give a copy of this book to the family as they leave the hospital.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowing you are not alone through your darkest days, 23 Mar 2006
When we went for our checkup at 35 weeks, nothing could have prepared us for the shock of finding that our much loved and wanted son would have no heartbeat, and had died in the womb. Our world stopped!! There is so much to go through, organise and take in at a time like this, and so many people offering help and advise, but some people (like us) prefer to grieve in private and find it difficult to reach out and ask for that help.
Thank goodness for this book. It shares with you the real experiences of parents in this situation, what they went through at the time, their thoughts after a period of time and how they felt when looking back, there are also chapters on the grief and grieving process, and possible medical causes to what has happened when you constantly ask WHY? and was it my fault? At times, you feel that you could drown in your grief, it feels so raw and that you are alone and nobody understands the hurt inside, but this book shows that you are not alone, and reading other peoples personal experiences lets you know that your thoughts and feelings are perfectly normal and shared by others who have unfortunately been in the same situation.
I DON'T KNOW HOW I WOULD HAVE COPED AT TIMES WITHOUT THIS BOOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a freak, 18 Nov 2004
ms a e cable (Jarrow, England) - See all my reviews
My daughter, Rhiannon, was stillborn on 18 March 1997. It was the day my life stopped. No reason was ever discovered why. This book explained I am not a freak and unfortunately I am not alone. It is hard to describe how much this book helped. eg. it suggested taking photographs. I am so glad I did, they are such a comfort. In the years since, I have had poor concentration, this is the only book I've been able to read. If you need this book, I can understand the torment you are in, it is a torment NO ONE should go through, but this book will help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-to-read language, 31 Oct 2006
Our baby's heart stopped beating at 4 days past my due date, after a perfect text book pregnancy. I was already scheduled to be induced the next day. No reason was ever found for his death despite an autopsy - my son was just perfect. His death remains incomprehensible.

I have read several books on this topic, and I found this one to be written in particularly easy-to-read language. It contains parents' stories and covers grief and grieving, another pregnancy and another baby. Like several books covering this topic, I think it will be a book to go back to in the future and read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars When a Baby Dies: The Experience of Late Miscarriage, Stillb, 27 Nov 2005
i read this book and it's very overwhelming to know that there are also these parents who grieved so much with their babies lost. i lost my daughter too and the book was a gift from my husband believing it'll make it help me ease not all but a small amount of pain inside and its does it really does a great relief to know i'm not alone grieving of my daughter's death.i love this book so much and i also reccomend it to tose mothers and fathers who lost their child. this book is really amazing and i appreciate every bit of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary read for parents dealing with the tragic death of a baby, 20 Feb 2010
My deepest sympathies to you if you are considering purchasing this book, as it likely means that you, or someone close to you, has experienced the tragic loss of a baby, either through stillbirth or neonatal death. The feelings of grief you experience upon such a tragedy are seemingly limitless, and the depths of despair to which you plummet know no boundaries. It is a truly frightening, desperately isolating, experience. The hope and joy you have felt turns to the deepest sense of sorrow and rawest pain. I am so very, very sorry that any loving parent or relative has to experience it at all, as it is totally incomprehensible to have to face losing such a precious gift.

My husband and I lost our first child, a baby daughter, just before Christmas. She was absolutely perfect, a beautiful little girl, much loved and longed for. We have travelled to the depths of hell and back again as we grieve for her. We have asked ourselves countless times if there was anything we could, or should, have done, what we could have possibly done to deserve this, amd why this fate has befallen us. We felt so lonely, so isolated in the pain we felt. I purchased this book in desperation, as I struggled to make some kind of sense of the worst time of my life. It is of some relief to find that you are not alone, that others, too, have experienced this nightmare and what's more, have survived it. They never forget it, and never, ever get over it, but they reach a point where life becomes more bearable, and has hope again. The book contains real parental accounts about the loss, the cycle of grief, and moving on - to whatever degree that is possible. It also covers dealing with subsequent pregnancies and includes medical information to explain in layman terms what can occur during childbirth and beyond to cause a baby's untimely death. It will contain lots of experiences you will recognise as your own, and is pragmatic and down-to-earth. I found it pretty invaluable - at the stage I read it, it gave me a small glimmer of hope that our hearts would, at some point in the future, feel less broken, and purpose would return.

5.0 out of 5 stars When your world ends, how do you survive?, 30 Mar 2009
S. Walker (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
Firstly, I am sorry. If you are reading this review it is probably because you, or someone close to you, have lost your baby.
A few weeks after my little girl's death as a newborn I had a craving to read, to try and work out how I was going to survive. This book helped. It includes reflections from bereaved parents, all with different experiences but with common themes in how they felt, how they expressed their grief, how they tried to survive. It helps you feel less alone and helps you see your reactions are normal.
The book includes a chapter on "experiences in hospital". You are likely to be past that stage when you're reading the book but hopefully, if things were managed well in hospital, you can feel some comfort in knowing this. Later on, there are chapters on "Another Pregnancy" and "Another Baby" which might be too painful at first but can be read at a later date.
I hope you find comfort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, I will survive the death of my baby, 6 Mar 2007
Freyja's mum (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
My baby died in July 2006. I guess like many parents I felt that I would never survive her death and I grieved and mourned for many months. I believe now that I will mourn my daughter's loss forever.

I have read many books about stillbirth since my baby's death, but I found this one to be particularly helpful. It's easy to read and I think is great whether you're Australian (like me), American, English or from anywhere else. The book deals with experiences of loss, and those losses are the same whereever you live. I would recommend this book to any parent who has gone through the trauma of losing a precious baby son or daughter.

14.71