5.0 out of 5 stars Could hardly let my hands off this book
Published on 20 Jan 2012 by LovingBooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful but ...
Published on 1 Jan 2011 by Mrs. J. A. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Could hardly let my hands off this book, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: Language and Creativity: The Art of Common Talk (Paperback)
I bought this book as part of my studies and I find it superb. I could hardly let my hands off this book as it reads fluently and it is very well explained. The arguments are convincing as evidence, logic and sense is given rather than just trying to persuade you with a lot of 'blah blah blah' into thinking what the writer wants, which is the case with some other books.

The writer enabled me to think critically and to see linguistic in different dimensions. Every time I read the book and I was in public for example, I started observing the people around me at the same time and everything made much more sense what I heard or saw in social life. The book is scientific and science in general also helps to understand why we are what we are in a social context. The book helped me also personally as I was able to travel/think back into my past and understand things better, relate things better and to understand myself better in the whole social context. Knowing more about linguistics enables you to understand people more and characters as well as why you have said yourself particular things.

The book made me understand the meaning of creativity in everyday language and I referred a lot to this book in my assignments. I immersed in this book and broadened my knowledge and horizon. The only thing I would say is that there is some repetition but this is not negative as it helps to memorize and manifest the knowledge in your mind and there is always relation.

So, everyone who is into linguistics, you should definitely get this superb book.

Thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful but ..., 1 Jan 2011
Mrs. J. A. Martin (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as it was a set book on an OU course I am studying. The writing is very small and the content rather disjointed. The author seems to repeat himself fairly regularly which in one way is useful as it helps to consolidate understanding but it also makes the book quite difficult to follow when he keeps referring back and forward to other chapters. I think the argument itself is interesting and certainly made me view creativity in language in a whole new light but I also feel that with less repetition of subject matter the book could have been about half the length making it more accessible. The author also tends to use old-fashioned language which means a good dictionary is a necessity. The first two chapters were certainly the heaviest going but from chapter 3 onwards there was some improvement. I don't think it is a book I will ever refer to again and have only persevered with reading it all this time because it is a course necessity. I would only recommend it to anyone else doing the course (E301 with OU) and then I would suggest trying to read it without attempting to understand it before your course starts. The format of the book make it very difficult to read, digest and understand within the time constraints of the course.

4.0 out of 5 stars and is a useful tool in exploring language One grumble - thought it ..., 3 July 2014
Purchased as part of an Open University course

Gets down to the business, no fuss, and is a useful tool in exploring language

One grumble - thought it was a bit pricey, but had no choice to buy as it is a requirement for the course!

3.0 out of 5 stars thorough but badly in need of clearer structural forms, 13 Dec 2013
the book is very thorough which is gr8, it's only near the end of each sub text's do you get what the writer means, he could have made things more clearly and easier to read as you get a feeling that many chapters and subtitles are out of context badly edited. but very good book and worthwhile.and a lot of work on the part of a reader. as this book says a lot about collaboration of many ordinary people can do in their intellectual field's, i feel someone individual who spends a lifetime on mastering and re-editing his own subject does this so for the benefit of making things clearer for ordinary folk's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly repetitive and flawed, 6 Nov 2013
As many others, I have had to buy this book for an OU course that I am doing and I must say that I am very disappointed with it. I can't help but feel that Carter could have condensed the whole book into about one chapter as all he seems to do is repeat the same ideas continuously.

What's more, I found myself shaking my head and disagreeing with most things I came across in the book. One cannot always say that repetition is creative, however,this is something that Carter tries to convince us of all the time. I also felt that the conclusions were unconvincing.

After some 200 pages, to conclude that the more informal the situation the more likely creativity occurs is a total anti-climax. I would have thought this was obvious from the start without having to go through pages of text to find out.

Very disappointed with a potential interesting topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Study Book, 10 Oct 2013
This book was recommended by the Open University for extra study and it was a most interesting and enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great aid for studying, 9 Feb 2013
this has been an absolute must for my wifes studies,
it was part of her reading for her english course; and could not do it without this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars English module book, 19 Mar 2013
J. Roberts (Rochdale,Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
Needed for my next OU module. Have just flicked through it for now but it's great for getting ahead with the reading. Good value, quick delivery and I'm ready to go.

Language and Creativity: The Art of Common Talk
Language and Creativity: The Art of Common Talk by Ronald Carter (Paperback - 29 Jan 2004)
19.99