Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 15 September 2007
This book has been my constant companion over the last couple of years. It has been a great help as I study Modern Greek at evening class. Apart from being a pretty comprehensive grammar primer for beginner / intermediate learners, what I really appreciate is the wealth of lucid examples it provides, many of which I have now memorised. Without it my understanding of Greek grammar would be impoverished and I can recommend it wholeheartedly.
0Comment46 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2009
What an amazingly useful book this is. My Greek tutor lent me this book to read one section. I couldn't put it down and had to buy my own copy. It is clearly written and is a treasure chest of information and examples. It gives explanations for all those annoying little idiosyncrasies that don't quite fit into all the usual patterns of grammar: suddenly the light goes on and all is clear. Think they call that an 'Ahhh' moment. Up until now I have continued to use my ancient, yellowed, falling-apart copy of "Modern Greek" by S A Sofroniou, which I love to bits - far more than it's more modern equivalents - but have never managed to find anything to take me that step further. Well this "Essential Grammars" book is it. You will not regret buying it. Might be a bit beyond the scope of those who are just setting out with Greek and haven't studied other languages/grammar before, though would still be the perfect complement to other 'teach yourself' books or for those studying with a teacher. A total Godsend - love it!!!
11 comment19 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2013
i just got this book and love it already, examples for everything, and really well laid out, i am teaching myself, and using tv, movies radio, dictionary and some reading, this book has already made a difference in filling in the gaps for me, after 1 week i can make coherent sentences whereas before i just knew loads of words but found it difficult to construct sentences. strongly recommend it.
on 14 November 2013
I bought this, first on my Kindle and then on paper, on the recommendation of my Greek teacher. It's very comprehensive - when I first started reading it on my Kindle it seemed a bit too detailed for my needs but it has everything one could need for learning Greek. It's much more easier to refer to on paper, though, so I've now bought a paper copy.
on 17 May 2010
The best Greek Grammar book I have purchased to date and I have made some definate improvement in learning this difficult language with it's help. Good for those of us whose English Grammar might is a little shaky as it doesn't blind one with terminology!......recommended!!!
on 4 April 2014
This Essential Grammar is authored by people with impressive credentials and as expected, is a very fine exposition
of the Modern Language. The cover asserts that this book will help you read, speak and write with greater confidence. Just so!
on 8 August 2011
This is a useful guide to Greek grammar. It's aimed at the more advanced learner of Greek rather than the beginner. However for that niche there's very little choiceso this book is worth considering.
on 30 October 2009
An excellent purchase - just what I wanted. Well laid out. Although there are certain areas that it covers rather sketchily, I recommend it to all serious students of Modern Greek.
on 29 June 2010
Very well organized Grammar with clearly written sections on essential parts of Modern Greek grammar
on 2 June 2010
If you are learning Greek ,this book is a great help in understanding how the Greek language is used in every day speech.