5.0 out of 5 stars evolutionary psychiatry
Published on 4 July 2003 by Mr. S. D. Saunders

2.0 out of 5 stars 'just so' stories for scientific illiterates
Published on 11 Oct. 2005 by Mark Montgomery

5.0 out of 5 stars evolutionary psychiatry, 4 July 2003
This review is from: Evolutionary Psychiatry, second edition: A New Beginning (Paperback)
This is an easy to read book which I used to access key areas, namely the sections on 'disorders of attachment' covering eating disorders and anxiety. The chapters are relatively short and provide good introductions to the areas covered. In terms of usefulness this book was a key tool in my recovery from anorexia. It showed me my behaviour was a biological adaptation to the situation I was in. I would thoroughly recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars 'just so' stories for scientific illiterates, 11 Oct. 2005
Both evolutionary psychology and evolutionary psychiatry have been gaining ground in recent years, not because they tell us anything new, but because they give nice neat 'stories' about why we are the way we are. Unfortunately, and this book is a prime example of it, research and the corresponding evidence-base is very shaky. Research on modern primates tells us very little, if anything, about the behaviour of our own evolutionary ancestors. Modern primates are MODERN, not replicas of our own evolutionary ancestors. To then graft on to modern psychiatry silly notions that we 'behave like this because when we were monkeys the world was like this and we haven't got out of the habit yet' is ridiculous, without any clear evidence and is nothing more than (non-)scientific fairy tales. The only reason i've given this two stars is because it is a funny book and a great example of how science can be 'bent' to fit when scientists want it to. Occam's Razor appears to have been ignored entirely in this text. A pity so much time and effort is being wasted in many universities for a topic that, in the end, is really a matter of faith (for those with an investment in it) and is essentially untestable. Untestable = unscientific.

Evolutionary Psychiatry, second edition: A New Beginning
Evolutionary Psychiatry, second edition: A New Beginning by John Price (Paperback - 11 May 2000)