Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more

on 17 January 2004
I studied translation at university and this textbook was used as a base for our course. I found it to be extremely comprehensive and detailed, as each chapter clearly covers the difficulties that can be found in various areas of translation. It highlights the main techniques used when approaching translation methodology for the first time. Many people follow translation courses however this book provides an excellent support for those who are beginning to look more closely at the real techniques involved - not merely translating literally but looking more closely and the language and the overall effect of translation on a text.
I found this to be an excellent guide, not only informative with very relevant examples of linguistic traps but also written with real humour and personality. Overally an extremely useful and enjoyable text which can be used as a base for a course or indeed as personal reading for anyone fascinated by language and translation.
on 14 May 2009
A really accessible book for anyone new to and interested in translation, for whatever reason. My only problem with it was the preponderance of literary examples given to illustrate translation points. In the real world translators rarely spend much time translating novels and poems, as it isn't very lucrative and there isn't a lot of work around. So I'd've preferred a few more technical, legal, or scientific texts to get more of an idea of the kinds of things a translator has to work on.
on 22 February 2015
Arrived on time. Just started reading it but strikes me as a good book.