on 4 August 2000
I first picked this book shortly after my mother died from cancer. I am 24 and was very sceptical that any book could offer me words of comfort or reassurance during my time of grieving. Yet this book offered both of these and more. A very well written book which is understandable and reaches out to the reader, explaining that many of the taboo feelings that they may be experiencing are normal and to be expected. It also takes the reader through the different stages of grief, from the immediate feelings through to two years later, therefore preparing the reader to expect their grief to last longer than society allows.
A very practical book written for the grieving child of any age, though particularly useful to the teenager/young adult.
on 6 August 2005
Having lost both my parents before the age of 21, I had searched for a book that could help me with the (what seemed like endless) process of making sense of it all. This book is fantastic - it includes the acknowledgement of pain and sorrow, but the promise of better things to come. Written in a fantastic style which is neither patronising or overly formal, I would heartily recommend this to anyone who has experienced losing a parent and has wondered from time to time if they are actually going mad - this book normalises and offers reasons why everything can seem a bit wonky.
on 17 July 2006
- A very tough subject to write on, but this book is so honestly written, heartwarming, tear jerking and comforting at the same time.

All those feeling you go through are normal- other people feel them too, and this book highlights the tragic loss of a loved one, but re-itterates you are allowed to have a rollercoaster of emotions, and that you are perfectly entitled to feel what you want. Some bits are tough to deal with, but this really really helped me realise I am not a freak!

I would reccomend it to anyone in this horrible situation
on 27 February 2011
My husband passed away 4 months ago and I bought this book for my 18 year old daughter to try to help her to cope with her loss. She said that she found it really useful and although nothing can make you understand why these terrible things happen to you, it gave her some reasurance that other "real" teenagers are going through the same thing, without getting into the "Spiritual" side of things.
on 6 April 2007
I first read this book at 23, seven years after my father died. I found it enormously helpful, reassuring and well written. I only wish I had read it sooner. Strongly recommended to anyone dealing with the loss of a parent.
on 28 March 2009
This book was recommended to me just when I needed it. I began reading this about one month after my Dad died in a tragic accident. It brought me much reassurance and I only wish I had begun reading it earlier as it covers the entire grieving process, providing insightful and comforting information that made me feel less isolated. I highly recommend it to anyone who has recently or not so recently lost a parent.
on 9 February 2001
I was profoundly humbled by this book. After almost two years the turmoil of my late friend's 12 year old daughter was suddenly and painfully unraveled. I began to absorb how her father and I falling in love only months after her mother's death had pushed the weight of her life shattering bereavement into a black hole of isolated despair. I had to reassure myself that all the 'help' and 'understanding', which I now realised had been so hopelessly inept, had been well intentioned. Everything had been based on the misguided belief, reinforced by all around us, that making her father happy and his life easier must somehow be 'good for her' and help her to 'get over it'.
I only wish I had read this book sooner - but better late than never.
on 19 February 2011
I agree with other reviews that this is obviously written for children who lose their parents under the age of 20yrs. But saying that I am 40yrs old and I found some very useful bits and pieces throughout the book that helped me with some issues I had with guilt; anger and frustration at my mothers death and with other peoples expectations. I am learning to take one day at a time and roll with the waves of emotion that come and go...
on 8 January 2013
It is quite wonderful how Amazon can help you to get this book. It is by far the best book that I have come across for youngsters whose parents die. This edition is greatly enriched by the authors personal account ,her work as a counselor and the research of many issues.
on 27 December 2014
Found this really hard to read as my emotions were so raw, worth struggling to read though