5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant introduction to philosophy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best introduction
Published on 20 April 2008 by Mr. Alan Rolle

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant introduction to philosophy, 15 Oct 2003
This review is from: An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis (Paperback)
I bought this book as I started a philosophy course at school, I found it incredible helpful as a beginner as it dealt with major philosophical ideas at a level that the novice can understand. The book covers all major topics and problems in philosophy conveying different views and illustrating points with examples. Hospers style makes the text readable but concise, very clear, this book will open your mind to the problems of philosophy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to philosophical thinking..., 28 Jun 2011
Paul St Clair Terry "empiricist" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis I read this book when I was at school back in the 1960s and found it to be an excellent introduction to the main concerns and schools of thought in Western philosophy. It became a recommended introductory textbook in the 1970s for undergraduates reading philosophy. My own discipline is mathematics and my focus is on metamathematics, logic and axiomatic set theory which is where mathematics and philosophy converge. This is not the usual historical treatise on the development of Western philosophy from Ancient Greece to the Modern Day, nor an in-depth examination of any particular branch of philosophy but instead introduces the reader to logical and analytical thinking before exposing him or her to the main opposing opinions and perspectives in modern philosophy. I would highly recommend this text to students embarking on a course in philosophy or those merely interested to know more of the subject.

Please Note: I based this review on the Second Edition which was twice the size of the Fourth Edition and, in my view, a more comprehensive and better text.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good reference and read, 25 Feb 2014
An excellent introduction to analysis. I am always returning to this and it has been a favourite reference of mine since the 1980s.

The author always makes you think critically and has several alternative views so that there is no outward bias to put you off an argument.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best introduction, 20 April 2008
Mr. Alan Rolle "Al" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis (Paperback)
I purchased the book as it was reccomended by my philosophy tutors during my alevels. I found that it was easy to understand, and I thought that the exercises at the end made you think over the content that was covered within the chapter. Also he would have a dialogue as to showing different arguments that there are to the subject. He also covered the different fields in philosophy. But Hospers did have the habit of often rambling on, at times he would loose the thread by compeletly going in circles or mentioning issues that did not appear to be relevant to what he was trying to cover. Throughout the dialogue of opposing views I often was wondering who was more confused, him or myself as it would seem that the characters would end up swapping sides which either showed lack of consistency or confidendence within the arguements. Did not seem that he thought about the logic of dialogue in particular. Also the book seemed to make poor references to important people who influences a particular field of study. E.g. When covering philosophy of science how could have Hospers missed to mention Karl Popper who introduced the validation of a scientific theory on the basis of it being confirmed or falsified, not to mention Lakatos, Thomas Kuhn's theory of paradigms? I became so frustrated I have not finished the book
I would be very hesitant to recommend this book to a novic who is interested in taking up philosophy seriously, there are far better books to start off with, one of them ironically being fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis (Paperback)
Arrived in excellent condition - son very pleased with it and found it very helpful with his course work at Uni.

An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis
An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis by John Hospers (Paperback - 23 Jan 1997)
21.60