Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2011
Romantic Writings is a course book for the Open University's A210 Approaching Literature module which is closing in 2011. It covers poetry by the Romantic poets (Byron, Shelley), and/or during the Romantic period (1780-1830), rather than the genre of romantic (love) poetry.

It gives historical context to the poets and explores the poems themselves. For the most part, it deconstructs the poems on the contextual level, in order for you to be able to find the meanings in the poetry yourself. It does break down some poems but it really is trying to teach you to be able to do this yourself- which you can do if you really read and 'listen' to what is being taught here. It covers Wordsworth's The Prelude in detail and doesn't ignore women writers. It doesn't really teach you about the range of poetic techniques, rather, it focuses on history and meaning.

I've not given it 5 stars because sometimes it is too in depth and it reaches for answers that you might say are reaching, and it does spoil things sometimes. So a high 4 star and recommended to anyone studying the Romantic poets or period.
on 17 January 2010
I purchased this book originally to assist me in writing an essay for my degree in English Literature, it has since proven to be very useful across my degree, providing extended insight and secondary resources.
on 17 September 2003
I have read a lot of the literature books, many of which are by famous authors. I must say that this extroardinarily well written book has to be one of the best of them all. I have placed an order for another Stephen Bygrave book and I hope to see more books from this author. Well done!