on 27 January 2005
For the English speaker and probably for others, this book is best accompanied with the CD as I have found the pronounciation and stress to be the hardest thing to get right - so buy the CD. This book is great, although it takes a long time to learn each chapter - a lot is left up to you to learn the vocabulary, and I found myself rereading chapters. The advice on grammar is generally clear and well explained. Overall, you can learn a lot from this book - but as with any language, try to find another source from which to learn for another angle and have patience!
I would recommend people to start with this book if you are a beginner - and if you know the basics already you will learn a lot from the later chapters.
on 16 October 2012
I bought this book hoping to learn the language for my Danish girlfriend. I found as I went through it how much clearer the language became, with relevant examples of all it's explanations and good basic dialogues to help teach the language. By no means is this book the only thing you'll ever need to learn the language, but it's a fantastic starting point, especially with the CD to help with the very difficult pronunciation the language has, for English speakers at least. Although the edition I had was slightly out of date (still mentioning the 25 øre coin and showing the old style bank notes which isn't really that much of a big deal), it is very insightful into not just the language, but also segments of Danish culture. It does leave a lot of the vocabulary learning to yourself, but teaches the major bits such as greetings, colours, weather and numbers.
Great introduction to a great language.
on 15 June 2012
Bought this book for my fiancés who is from England and has moved to Denmark with me. The official Danish course available in our region, 'lærdansk', proved to be quite dissapointing, and we decided to try out some personal tutoring instead. This book introduces the student to Danish in a basic but good way, without taking too big steps, and by keeping to the main things you have to learn, when you are completely new to a language. I can recommend it as a stepping stone if you are not comfortable with language learning and need a way to study on your own, or with a tutor. Buy the book and the cd together, I ended up buying them seperate, which cost me a bit more.
on 30 December 2014
A very informative book, great amount of content. The reason for giving this a 3 rather than higher is based on a few reasons.
- pronunciation, the danish language is not a 'say what you see' language, the words in the book would be improved with a 'how it would be spoken' piece beside the words, even if only in the dictionary area. Example started to do this with vowels but does not do this through out the book.
- layout, alphabet, numbers, basics like 'my name is' are not in order. The book jumps from the alphabet to conversational pieces. I would say this book is for more advanced level of danish speaking rather than beginners.
- cd, you have to have the book and cd together, I usually learn from listening repetitively from a cd, this cannot be done from this one which is predominantly done in danish only. Some of the other reviews had mentioned this but as you don't get a 'taster' you cannot quantify what they necessarily mean, now I know.
on 12 June 2015
I've tried on book the kindle app on my macbook, my iphone and on a samsung tablet to play the audio files that apparently come with this book but I can't see how they are played, total waste of money if you can't play the audio
on 4 July 2014
Difficult to get a decent volume on the teaching of the Danish language, but this goes a long way to filling that void, and the CDs are a worthwhile accompaniment to the written lessons.
on 25 November 2012
The course met all of our expectations and is easy to use and understand. The book and CD tie up well together and the exercises are easy to follw
on 19 September 2013
Spoken Danish is so different to its written language that this cd is essential to even begin to understand the language.
on 28 February 2016
Item came in very bad condition.
Do not buy
I would give it 0 stars if i could
review image review image
on 31 July 2014
Will be speaking Danish in no time at all... well thought out and clear instructions.