5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful book, a revelation, 10 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: A Special Scar: The Experiences of People Bereaved by Suicide (Paperback)
I lost my mother to suicide 18 years ago. At that point I was aged 7. As a child I was shielded from the shock I suppose, but as children do, I picked up alot of information from the adults around me. After 17 years of struggling with the weight of the bereavement on my shoulders I decided to seek help. I was given "A special scar" by a counsellor and while reading it had revelation after revelation. To realise that I was not the only one suffering from intense grief and pain, was amazing. By talking to others and sharing my experiences and feelings, things somehow began to make sense again, even after all those years. I do not pretend that the journey through grief has been easy, I do feel you get out what you put in and it is by no means over yet. My lost loved one will always be in my memory but I feel I've found the courage to move on with my life. Alison Wertheimer's book is very helpful on a pratical, as well as an emotional level. The stories of other survivor's help to ease the isolation often suffered by this type of bereavement. It is particularly helpful when the shock of a loved one's suicide begin's to wear off and the feelings are being faced. The most inportant message given in the book is you are not alone!

4.0 out of 5 stars A different book for each different stage, 24 Feb 2009
Rebecca Kober - See all my reviews
My 21 year old brother hanged himself 2 1/2 years ago. I read No time to say goodbye by Carla Fine in the week afterwards and it made me realise that I was not alone and allowed me to release some of my grief. I read The suicidal Mind by Edwin S Sneideman just under a year after he died and this was fantastic in helping me process the Why? Why? Why???!!!! questions going around and around my head and put them to rest. I wouldn't recommend this too soon after the suicide of a loved one because it is difficult, if not cathartic, to deal with how they have suffered. Finally I read A Special Scar: The Experiences of people bereaved by suicide at the 2nd anniversary which covered a large range of different issues in relation to suicide and helped me consider how I was coping in a great deal of areas. This book, whilst factual and highly relevant was again better to read a while after my brother's death because in the height of my emotion I wouldn't have been able to cope with a "textbook" on suicide helpful for health care professionals as this would have seemed too clinical. A book can't make your grief go away or replace good anti-depressants/counselling but it can help channel that grief and give you time for personal contemplation and reflexion. If you have been recently been bereaved or not I would recommend all three of these texts for different reasons and at different stages. If you are recently bereaved and you are reading this take care of yourself and know that you are not alone and despite being through hell and back 2 1/2 years on I can honestly say that I am happy again. The pain will never go away but you will make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of comfort and understanding., 28 Nov 2005
By A Customer
I bought this book following the suicide of my ex partner. For me the book has been a lifesaving source of comfort and information. The book has really helped reduce my feelings of isolation and provided such relief by detailing the experiences and feelings of others following a suicide. It has helped me realise that I am not alone and that my feelings are not odd or unusual and are shared with many others. It has also helped me understand the enormity of the event and the ongoing impact this has in life - especially important over time when life around begins to return to its usual pattern. I am still reading and getting comfort from this book many months after my loss.Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must for those affected by suicide, 29 Jan 2002
By A Customer
A long and difficult search for a book that discussed the 'fall-out' after suicide, came to an end when I found this book. It has practical advice regarding dealing with police, coronors, inquests and a detailed section on the emotions you are likely to encounter. Bereavement by suicide is such a traumatic and 'taboo' situation that it is a godsend someone has written a book like this. It covers all those questions you want to ask, but may be too afraid to. The best thing about this book was reading how other people felt - that I was not alone. Also it is a great relief to know that all the intense and overwhelming emotions I went through were 'normal' and that I was not going completely mad. Your heart will break while reading this, but it certainly helped me to face my loss head on and ride the waves instead of fighting them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive guide on practical issues related to suicide, 29 Feb 2008
S. Knotts "tigger clog" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book explains both the practicalities that need to be dealt with and some of the 'why' does it happen. The author is a suicide survivor and the text discusses the issues and experiences of other suicide survivors as well as practicalities like inquests, grief and support. Because it combines the two, it is not an afternoon read. But each chapter is self contained and manageable and the chapters do not need to be read in order.

For a more compact version try 'Coping with Suicide' by Maggie Helen.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who need it...read it, 26 Dec 2010
H. L. Reid "Hippy chick" (London) - See all my reviews
This book was a great help when needed...so much so that I handed it over to a friend when she experienced the same thing. It gives a different slant on things at a time when nothing seems to make any sense.
Definately worth purchasing to read, even if you aren't strong enough to read it straight off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 4 July 2014
A thoughtful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 26 Mar 2014
I was struggling after the suicide of my mother a year ago and I bought this to understand a bit more about the emotions of it all that I was going through. It is useful for those in the helping professions as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book, 17 Oct 2010
Mrs. Rylla Dragan "Rylla Dragan" (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Very educative book. Good to read and learn. We need to understand the emotional turmoil the experience brings on, to be able to help others in the future who go through the same pain.

A Special Scar: The Experiences of People Bereaved by Suicide
A Special Scar: The Experiences of People Bereaved by Suicide by Alison Wertheimer (Paperback - 3 Jan 1991)
Used & New from: £0.01