Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 June 2012
This superb collection of the defining works of one of the world's greatest playwrights should be on everyone's reading list. These are ageless and timeless works that speak to eternal issues. I personally treasure this collection and turn to it often.
on 9 January 2014
Four of Ibsen's greatest plays, taken from what is, in my opinion the best edition of Ibsen that we have had in our language, the Oxford Ibsen of James McFarlane et al. However, for this paperback reissue, some of the valuable appendices were removed. This is a shame but utterly justifiable. It does create a slight impression of incompetence, however, when, on p. 88, I read 'For an insight [...etc...] see his letters to a Copenhagen newspaper [...] (translated below, pp. 454–56)' and find that this book only has 355 pages.

Regardless, four masterpieces in elegant and idiomatic translations, which make for intense literary pleasure; and the plays can be enjoyed perfectly well without the extra letters, &c. However, Oxford University Press, if you are reading this, it is virtually impossible for a young Ibsen-enthusiast to get hold of the Oxford Ibsen (or any complete Ibsen in English, for that matter) nowadays; so, perhaps the time has come to reissue all of his plays—perhaps more cost-effectively, in paperback (with appendices, preferably).
on 22 February 2004
As a student myself, I rate this edition of Ibsen's, "Hedda Gabler" very highly due to its great layout and invaluable commentary. The play itself is gripping, written in a comic style, although essentially a tragedy. For me, the play really came to life after reading the accompanying commentary. Details about all the characters' backgrounds and Ibsen's background help really put the play into context.
I truly recommend this edition to any student who might wish to study the play. I also highly recommend the play in general, as Ibsen's message is powerful in realising the social constraints people were faced with in the late 1800's (does this message still ring true today??).
on 3 November 2013
I bought this collection for my A-level wider reading. I have already read "A doll's house" and "Hedda Gabler" and really enjoyed them. I recommend this edition as it has lots of extra information about the playwright and the reception of the plays.
on 21 January 2013
FOUR MAJOR PLAYS. An excellent collection of some of Ibsen's finest work. Well crafted, thought provoking examples that defy conventional stereotyping of women. Insightful, provocative and overall a highly recommended read.
on 9 November 2013
Good working edition. Reliable translation. Useful introduction Can be handled without falling to pieces during rehearsal! get the hardback for your library, these are MAJOR works of art,
on 10 December 2012
I originally bought this cd in order to understand the story as I was auditioning for a part in a local production. It is superb. All the cast are top notch and convey the story of Hedda's great disappointments with her marriage and lot in life. Michael Maloney as her husband is very amusing and you could well understand how his annoying tone and lack of understanding of his wife' frustrations would lead her to do the desperate things she does. For any student of theatre and Ibsen's work this translation is a winner!
on 16 July 2014
I love Henrik Ibsen - my old time favourites are : Doll's House and Hedda Gabler.
They are so timeless. Henrik Ibsen is one of those rare realist writers who crafted his playwrights carefully with sheer profound clarity and he was 100 years ahead of his time. He is provoking by addressing taboo issues such as psychopathy (Hedda Gabler - female aristoctratic psychopath who uses her superficial charm to advance herself to get anything she desires ) and 'feminist issues' in the Doll's House. He was accused of being 'feminist' - but of course it wasn't true - he was just a great observer of society at around the time when freudian theories were emerging.
I was only 18 yrs old when I first read The Doll's House addressing feminist issues such as 'what is it like being trapped in a relationship'. (The Doll's House is a symbol of her entrapment.)
So many people analyzed this masterpiece and I will not give away the story line and the plot just highlight a few iconic lines when at times WORDS do speak louder than actions:

TORWALD: "You have ruined my happiness. You have ruined my future. Terrible. He can do whatever he wants me now..."
NORA: "When I am DEAD - he won't be able to."
TORWALD: " Oh, don't be so pathetic. You sound like your father. HOW WOULD IT HELP ME IF YOU WERE DEAD? WHAT DIFFERENCE WOULD THAT MAKE? NONE .."

... and NORA has her light-bulb moment when she comes to terms with her life she lived has been a lie and you hear those iconic words that you almost know by heart:

NORA: " ... This wasn't really a house. It was a playroom. I have been your doll ..."

...and it doesn't matter at which European theatre they play this masterpiece -the audience goes quite whilst she delivers her longer monologue and you can feel that sense of tension in the air before she walks through that iconic door leaving her lawyer husband and three children behind. (You could also view the play at the Young Vic Theatre in South London.)
review image
on 29 December 2015
Excellent condition and the lay out is perfect, especially if you are using it to study
on 2 June 2014
I've read a lot of Ibsen's plays - these are the best, my favorite playwright - I would read Ghosts first - then move onto the Doll's house, then Hedda. Also the Wild Duck is a nice one but not part of this collection