5.0 out of 5 stars Educating Rita
This cheerful little story is a modern day version of Shaw's 'Pygmalion'. Originally it was a play.

Published 5 months ago by Clare O'Beara

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for A Level English!
Bought this version for my daughter - beware, it has been revised and updated and has sections of text and stage directions that are either different or missing, which is only made clear inside the book when you start to read it. This makes it difficult to use it for its purpose as a text to analyse in English. We will now need to buy the 'correct' version...
Published on 26 Sep 2012 by Onyx

5.0 out of 5 stars Educating Rita, 20 Jun 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Educating Rita (Modern Classics) (Paperback)

Rita, a Liverpool lady in a working-class area, is determined to make something of herself and find out more about English literature. She enrols as a mature student and her tutor, a habitual drinker who's washed up, finds her refreshingly interesting compared to the usual kids in his lectures.

Rita's husband isn't sold on this new fancy stuff, and wants her to start having babies like all the other women. The tutor enjoys awakening Rita's enquiring mind to all the world of poetry, plays and prose. His enjoyment is spoiled when he realises that Rita has grown past the lectures he gives and can find out more from summer schools and her own classmates. The story is not a complete romance but ends on a note of change.

This was beautifully filmed in Dublin, with Trinity College and the rooms of the Literary and Historical Society featuring as well as night spots around the city.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly entertaining., 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Educating Rita (Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I had to read this as part of my AS English coursework and didn't really expect it to be any good. Some people in my class found it really boring but I thought it was a good read and made a change from the normal teen books I read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Educating Rita (Modern Classics) (Paperback)
great price and perfectly adequate, there was no need for a new copy, so very satisfied with this one. My daughter needed it for college study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Educating Rita (Modern Classics) (Paperback)
It was interesting to watch the film and then read the play. I feel it was similar.
I could only recall a difference.
Thanks to the supplier there was no problem obtaining this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for A Level English!, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: Educating Rita (Modern Classics) (Paperback)

EDIT: This review has been posted by Amazon to the wrong book, it refers to the Methuen Modern Classics bright pink cover version ISBN 978-0-413-76790-5

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting the rhyme wrong, 25 Oct 2004
This review is from: Educating Rita (Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I found a very short excerpt of this screenplay in an old GCSE exam paper, at a writing class I was attending, and there were tears of laughter streaming down my face.
Pure gold. Five stars. No problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I ordered!, 10 Oct 2010
This review is from: Educating Rita (Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I ordered this book for my English Literature AS Level class - this was the copy of the book we were asked to get by the teacher, so obviously I did so. However, the copy that I ordered and the one that I delivered were not the same. Usually, this is not an issue at all, but 'Educating Rita' has different editions - in which the content are NOT the same. Obviously, the story line was the same, however there are substantial differences in the actual content - the language is quite different. This has proved to be an issue - one which results in needing a new copy of the book to be ordered. This is not useful at all, as it means more costs. On the plus side, the delivery was quick, I found no fault with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars N/A, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Educating Rita (Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I can't really comment on this as I bought it for a present so I have no idea what its like as I have never read it.

Educating Rita (Modern Classics)
Educating Rita (Modern Classics) by Willy Russell (Paperback - 10 May 2009)