5.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious and highly recommended play.
It's extremely rare that I can read anything, let alone a play, and laugh out loud. "The Cripple of Inishmaan" made me frequently chuckle with glee (which was awkward when I was reading it in public).

Published on 25 Aug. 2010 by M. Board

3.0 out of 5 stars Very dark humour
This was my first introduction to Martin McDonagh and I only saw his films In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths afterwards. I prefer these two films (the latter especially) to this play,The Cripple of Inishmaan. It is a good play and prepared me for the type of writing to expect in the films, but the humour was just too dark for me and I never really got into it.
Published 11 months ago by CoffeeandCake

5.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious and highly recommended play., 25 Aug. 2010
M. Board "sheepisher" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Cripple of Inishmaan (Methuen Drama : Modern Plays) (Paperback)

The play tells the story of Billy, an orphaned crippled lad living on the island of Inishmaan with his aunts, who dreams of escaping his lowly life when a Hollywood film crew arrives on a nearby island. The plot itself appears simple but contains several nice twists and turns that resolve themselves in a very satisfying manner.

More importantly, the playwright Martin McDonagh has an incredible facility for language and for capturing the life and behaviour of rural Irish folk. The play is rich with the inate humour of their speech patterns and their personal perspective on the world. A whole cast of memorable supporting characters each makes their mark just from reading the play text.

It's a play that deserves to be seen, but if it's not being performed anywhere near you, then do the next best thing and buy this script. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great play, nicely small and portable, 21 July 2013
A great edition of the play, including lists of the cast members from current and previous productions and featuring starring actor Daniel Radcliffe on the cover. Type is usual size- quite small so perhaps not ideal for those who struggle with impaired vision. Be aware that the play is relatively short (82 pages) although this could be due to a lack of explanatory notes, which aren't really necessary.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very dark humour, 16 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Master Story Teller, 21 Oct. 2013
A warm, funny and tragic story in which I found myself developing enormous affection for even the most noxious of characters. Martin McDonagh has the ability to create engaging characters whose hidden depths are explored throughout the play without sentiment thereby making them even more compelling. Delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly good read, 28 Jun. 2014
This is a stunningly good read. Typically Irish humour where cruelty and ignorance can shock, offend and yet amuse at the same time. I can not wait to get to a live performance. It is also a play that I think will last forever in the amateur dramatic forum. And so it should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Feb. 2015
A great read.

The Cripple of Inishmaan (Methuen Drama : Modern Plays)
The Cripple of Inishmaan (Methuen Drama : Modern Plays) by Martin McDonagh (Paperback - 10 Feb. 1997)