on 8 February 2016
I used to love this film when I was young (the 1st anyway) and had never read the book.
I loved this book, brought my entire childhood back to me and I have re-read it 3 times, amazing book.
on 12 April 2013
This book was a must buy for my Screenwriting module, but once I started reading it, all made sense and I really enjoyed the style. It is well written and informative. Highly recommended
on 29 November 2014
I loved this book! I've never seen it for sale before and am amazed that it's not on lists of best children's books. My son is seven and wants to be buried with it he loves it so much!
on 17 December 2012
Every aspiring writer should listen to this, no matter what their field or genre. If more aspiring writers did listen to it, there would be very few people attending writing courses.
on 13 March 2015
The original story that the film was based on. The first half of the book covers what you have seen in the film. The second half is about Bastian's adventures in Fantasia.
on 8 July 2009
As a professinal script editor I can honestly say that there's little here to disagree with. He's not wrong when he says that these story structures work in delivering satisfying scripts and if your script isn't a great read it's probably down to the story structure not working. However, it's a fairly torturous read and McKee's style of delivery (here and in his famous lectures) is really hard to listen to. There is little attempt to entertain and one feels utterly preached at. If you can stick with the un-engaging writing and learn the lessons that he's hitting you over the head with, then it's well worth a read.
on 24 July 2013
No question the best book on the art and science of story-telling I have come across. More than just screenwriting, this book sheds light on every aspect of story.
on 20 February 2009
This book is a profoundly challenging textbook for anyone who thinks they have what it takes to write, for the screen or otherwise. It will stretch you, question you and make you work very hard to be the best you can be. If you're looking for something to reassure you that anyone can be a writer, this isn't the book for you. It sets unashamedly-high standards and McKee makes no apology for tearing down lazy, flaccid writers.

It is a book about the pursuit of a high art, and McKee expects you to keep up with him. This is arguably the best book out there and, if you're brave enough, it'll make you a better writer.

For myself, I now feel like my efforts before reading McKee's book was time spent in the dark. Required reading, I'd say.
on 10 September 2013
Such a lovely children's book - it would be lovely to read it to your nine+ year old. You could easily read a chapter a night. Very wholesome story.
on 10 December 2014
is not the two colors edition