5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have in any SF collection.
'Pride', while a great story on its own, is really an introduction to the glorious Chanur series (for all the titles, see below).

Published on 1 July 2008 by D. B. Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually Rather Boring...
Published 18 months ago by Cyberwraith

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually Rather Boring..., 8 Jan 2013
This is going to be an unpopular view, but I actually found this book difficult to read. It's not long at all, at 200 pages it's really quite short, but by about page 150 I had had enough. I was forcing myself to read it, partly because I hate not finishing books, and partly because I desperately wanted to like it. But, whilst the ideas were brilliant - a lone human survivor stumbling across a thriving galactic community thus far ignorant of humanity - and the difficulties in translating different cultures and languages - the execution was poor. It was well written, but the pacing is off. To me, 150 pages of it could have easily fitted inside 70 or 80. There simply wasn't enough to keep me interested; the last 50 pages I read were a real effort.

I am a huge sci-fi fan and have read all the 'classics', but for me this just wasn't in the same league.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good story, as usual, by C J Cherryh, 7 Dec 2010
Latenighter (South-East England) - See all my reviews
Another excellent book in this series: introduces a human (previously unknown species) escaped from the unpleasant kif, rescued rather unwillingly by Pyanfar the Hani ship captain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice ideas, but lacking in action, 16 Aug 2010
Mark Poles (Cornwall, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I mentioned to friends that I often like my SF to be somehow Traveller-esque, that is in the style of the Traveller role-playing game setting, and this was the recommendation that followed.

And my friends were right - 'The Pride of Chanur' is _very_ Traveller-esque. The setup is a family-owned merchant ship (the 'Pride' of the title) and that of course is the basic setup for many a Traveller campaign. Even more Traveller-esque is the alien race who own the Pride. The hani are lion-oids, and pretty damn close to being direct copies of Traveller's Aslan.

Or vice versa.

The Aslan first appeared (as far as I'm aware) in issue 7 of the Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society in 1981 and 'The Pride of Chanur' was apparently first published in an issue of 'Science Fiction Digest', also in 1981. And the Aslan and the Hani really are very similar in appearance and very similar in culture. It could be a coincidence - both creators essentially thinking along the same lines when imagining a lion-oid spacefaring race perhaps.

It's a pretty good setting. The twist is that it's a setting where humans are the weird aliens, and this twist is presented well. The hani are also fleshed out well. However, the other alien races don't come into this first (of seven, although there are other books set in a different part of the same universe) book enough to make much of an impact.

Ultimately I was somewhat disappointed by The Pride of Chanur. I really wanted to like it because it is so Traveller-esque. At 200+ pages, it's not a long novel, but neither is it a very short one and I just didn't feel that much happened. It was originally published in a shorter format and subsequently lengthened to novel length. I don't know if this is the reason, but the book feels 'padded', like an old Doctor Who serial where the writer was asked at a late stage to make it a six-parter not a four-parter.

So, conclusion: Interesting setting, well-developed main race let down by poor pacing. I will read the next one, just not imminently.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have in any SF collection., 1 July 2008
D. B. Rose (South Africa) - See all my reviews

The Hani are a feline alien species, living in an area known as Compact Space - not because it is small, but because it is governed by a seven-way multispecies agreement known as 'The Compact'. Hani are also the junior race among the seven very different species. Then they acquire a fugitive human stowaway, and the trouble starts....

This is great space opera, but it is so much more as well. The depth of the characters, the alien races, the relationships, the impact of actions and events, all make for excellent literature, which happens to be SF!

An absolute must-have: if any of my set went missing, I would do anything, including steal, to replace it.

The whole series consists of:
The Pride of Chanur
Chanur's Venture
The Kif Strike Back
Chanur's Homecoming
Chanur's Legacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride of Chanur, 16 Oct 2006
Dr. D. Jayasinghe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride of Chanur (Library Binding)
An excellent book.

I think if you like Cherryh you won't be disappointed.

If you have yet to read Cherryh then this is a good one to start with. It is space opera at its best. The hani, an all female crew are an unlikely yet convincing species. They are faced with moral dilemmas that result in tense and difficult times for this crew. My only reservation for those sci-fi fans is that it isn't really an action packed novel and not for those techno-geeks who love space gadgetry, however, I think it is a great read and very different from many other sci-fi books that are around.

Pride of Chanur
Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh (Paperback - 10 Nov 1983)
Used & New from: 0.01