on 28 January 2000
"Educating Rita" is the story of an intelligent but uneducated woman who, in her mid-twenties, decides there must be something more to life than hairdressing, marriage and babies. She joins an Open University course on English Literature and meets her tutor, the disenchanted and alcoholic Frank. For Frank, Rita is a breath of fresh air in his jaded existence and he does not want her ever to change. But Rita wants to change, she wants an education, she wants choices in her life and it is Frank's job to supply her needs. Funny, sad and poignant by turns, we follow Rita's relationship with Frank as her education progresses. We see her enter the limbo-world of the educated working class woman; she no longer seems to belong anywhere, too bright for her own former life and too "common" for the intellectual ivory towers of acadaemia. And as for Frank, well, she has a few home-truths to tell him before the end of the day. This is a wonderful play of comic quip and heartrending pathos. Not to be missed!
on 7 October 2012
I was recommended this book by a fellow book nerd and as I love to read I thought why not. I got this at a great price off of Amazon and the fact that it has three books in one is a definite bargain. The stories are great and would recommend to others who like this kind of book. I think Everyone should broaden the spectrum on things so they can know more about other genres of books music etc.. that way we are not just sticking to the things that we know we are also stepping beyond our own boundaries And that's what I did with this book. I am happy I purchased it and at such a great price who wouldn't? I would recommend it to any fellow book lover or a new reader I think it would be enjoyed by many. I hope this review helped you with your choice and thank you for reading :-)
on 6 April 2013
I wasn't sure when I bought this item whether it was written and set out like plays or like a story..
Luckily for me it is set out as scripts which is exactly what I was looking for! Brilliant :)
on 2 February 2014
Very prompt delivery of these plays and in great condition. All 3 plays are entertaining and great for working with drama students on as they are colloquial and naturalistic.
on 7 February 2015
Lots of wonderful moments from Willy Russell. I'd forgotten what a fantastic playwright he is. Lots of monologue/ duologue ideas for actors too! Good condition of book
on 22 December 2014
Had some writing from pen on the front but the book seemed okay.
on 23 January 2000
Rita - a lower middle class hairdresser - yearns to "sing a better song" and become educated. Frank, the man with the task of educating her - a university professer himself - with personal problems of his own, falls in love with this 'breath of fresh air' that stumbles into his study one day. However charming the plot may be, it seems re-hashed and predictable. There have been a lot of 'spin offs' of the original Pygmalion story and this is just one of the successful ones. The in-script jokes are quite tame and so I give this book..... 1 star.
on 17 January 2001
'Blood Brothers' is a play about twin brothers separated at birth. When the two meet up they have no idea about their past. The two become friends. When one mother finds out that the two have become friends she moves away as the thought of her child finding out the truth is unbearable. The two boys become friends once again. They get separated due to class differences. In the end the two find out about their secret past and this leads to tradgedy. The play focuses on the two themes of class and superstition. Is it what we are born into or what we grow up as that influences what happens to us? An excellent read...even better to watch!