on 12 March 2010
--------------------------------

Brewster Place is a godforsaken street in a rundown area in small-town America. The black women who live there have admitted different kinds of defeat by being there at all, but there is no air of defeat in this last stand place, full of courage and resillience.

Through the beautifully wrought stories of seven black women, this remarkable work of fiction evokes intimately and powerfully the lives of unpriviledged women in an urban ghetto - a world in which the women fight against, survive and sometimes transcend the implacable desolation of their surroundings.

--------------------------------
on 9 December 1999
I am half way through the book and I love it.
I can't wait for knocking off time from work so that I can join the charaters once again on my way home . Although the book is predominatly about the life journeys of a series of Black Women, this book will be loved by all races as it deals with life and love issues, which affect all.of us.
I've decided to treat all my best friends to a copy of the book for Christmas, I feel it's a wonderful gift for any woman, and will have them all moved through the whole spectrum of emotions. Joy, hope, laughter and pain. A well deserved 5 crowns to The Women of Brewsters Place.
on 14 August 2015
Love this book!
on 27 November 2013
it was the right book but it was extremely well worn. I wanted to give it to someone not as a gift, but because they wanted to read it. Unfortunately, the condition wasn't good enough for that. I ordered a used book, but this seemed a bit more than that.