Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 January 2009
Just to offer an alternative to the previous review: this is a classic introduction to logic. It's precise, clear, and can take the committed reader from a standing start to some quite complex issues, offering plenty of practical exercises along the way. What it isn't is fluffy or padded. Lemmon does not waste words, and the overall effect is more like a maths textbook than like a work in the humanities. So, if you're looking for storytelling and friendliness in an introduction to logic, then avoid this book (try Paul Tomassi's Logic instead). But if you'd prefer a tight, problem-driven, demanding learning experience, try it. I learned logic from this book when I was an undergraduate. I'm now a philosophy lecturer.
55 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2002
I'm a first year student with no prior knowledge of logic, so by the description, this book should be perfect for me. Far from it. I've hardly used it yet this year, and would not recommend buying it for the joy of it.
Even after understanding lectures, I find it difficult to understand exactly what Lemmon is trying to explain. The language is perhaps too complex and too highbrow.
Having said that, there are plenty of exercises for you to work through, and this is how I've used it mostly.
All in all, think twice before you buy it.
on 14 May 2014
I have an old copy of this from the 1980s, why the price is so high on Amazon.co.uk I can't imagine, Amazon.com has it at a much more reasonable price, odd.

It is a logic book that was recommended on a course I did once. It is moderately easy to read, there's a lot to remember, and logic is difficult, this textbook is okay, there are others which may or may not be better.