on 18 October 2010
There are texts that will help you through an examination and there are texts that will, in addition, allow you the privilege of actually understanding and appreciating the complex interlocking elements which together, form the basis of English Land Law that will remain with you long after you leave the examination hall. This work acomplishes both. Although this edition is slightly wider than the previous four editions and does not sit easily on the shelf with them, one should not be put off by its size. It has, in common with previous editions, an extremely comprehensive index. Moreover, each section is cross-referenced allowing the reader to navigate easily throughout the book. It contains copious footnotes allowing the reader the opportunity of further research. Since land law overlaps with Equity and Trusts, and indeed, Family Law, it contains one of the best expositions I have yet read in any text on the subject proprietary estoppel and the informal acquisition of a beneficial interest in land, both areas of which cuts across the other subjects on the LL:B syllabus. For me, Gray has been a companion since the first edition. I would only hope that a work of this quality and value is not 'hijacked' by the major legal publishers, 'morphed' into a so-called 'practioner's manual' and priced well beyond the affordability range of the student market.
on 2 April 2011
I was compelled to write a review on "Elements of Land Law" because of the sheer brilliance of this book. Any serious student or person seeking a clear knowledge of land law will find this book helpful. The writing is detailed, yet precise; Gray provides a good analysis, not only of principles governing land, but also its relation to overlapping branches of the law (ie. contract, tort, trusts, etc.). I found the references to case dicta very helpful for further research, and as far as examination preparation, this book provides enough detail to ensure a serious reader first class understanding. The headings and cross referencing of sub-topics within land law ensures that reading of an individual topic in this book does not occur within a vacuum; it also makes skimming very easy. Speaking from a student perspective, I was a little disheartened at first glance by the massive size of this text--but it truly is an excellent read. Money well spent!
on 2 January 2010
Unequalled in terms of content and detail. Whilst it probably is not a text "for everybody" - many would perhaps benefit from a more basic text as an initial source; but in terms of supplementing your outline reading, there is simply no alternative. The material is well laid out and presented in short segments with many references to additional material. This should be considered an essential reference for any student of Land Law!
on 24 August 2012
Even as a student, often needing a short snap shot, I find this absolutely to be the best land law text. It is worth setting aside the time to read this massive book. The small sections ease navigation. The extensive citations (to the paragraph, unlike some texts) make for quick checks whether a case, or indeed, an individual statement referred to, are usable for my purposes. The scope of each chapter is such that the book alone can usually answer the most common student questions, and then some.

The fifth edition might be ageing a little, but it is still a great starting point for any new topic, even where it might be slightly out of date. By the end of the first year property law unit, many friends and I wished the lecturers had just told us to get on and get used to Gray and Gray, instead of the set text. We ended up using it anyway. Set on most courses, but often as the optional 'try it if you need to' book, this should be the first port of call every time.
on 14 January 2011
We purchased this via Amazon. We started to rent our properties, and we needed to increase our knowledge of overall Law regarding Real estate.
Though this text is meant for legal students, it is very helpful and recommended that any landlord who cares his/her properties to read this book to equip oneself to deal with potentially problematic area of law.
on 4 December 2012
Was what I was told by my lecturer in Land Law.
It is indeed very detailed but this also makes it somewhat complex to read at times. Unlike Ben McFarlane's Texts, Cases and Materials this book contains some very long phrases accompanied with substantial footnoting which demands its reader to pay attention and concentrate.
Personally, I spent too long on getting used to the layout of the book, thus four stars.
It has, however, become my primary Land Law book as it really does go into details.
If you are not too familiar with legal language and phrasing, McFarlane is a better and safer bet as you may otherwise end up spending too much time on looking up the meanings of different words.
It's introductory chapter to Human Rights in Property is surprisingly short compared to other books of this type -just a thought.
on 11 December 2013
As amazon's description and some other reviews have said, I have to confirm that this book is authoritative, definitive and comprehensive in covering of essential topics.I have this book for about four months now and I'm quite impressed with layout of the book which makes for easy reading and understanding. Land Law is a complex topic, but the authors have done a good job of clarifying and cordinating so many areas of the Land Law into this book which is really convenient.
Although this book is bulky as to carry around, however, I would recommend it to any passionate Land Law student and as reference for anyone in Property business such as Landlords.
on 12 January 2012
This book is very comprehensive and pretty much covers everything you need to know about the intricacies of land law. It is an invaluable aid to all students of law. Highly recommend!
on 13 August 2003
This book is detailed without being laborious. Its sections are well-structured and easy to follow. It can be used as a reference book, or even read cover-to-cover. I really liked this book and believe it's got everything an LLB or CPE student could need when studying Land Law. I'd buy it (oops - I already did).
on 9 November 2015
I needed this for law school. As reluctant as I am to give a law textbook 5 stars, it's actually very straightforward and easy to read through. It's concept focused rather than case focused.