4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book but overpriced
This book is great for tips and advice and the training plans are simple to follow. The only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is that I think it is overpriced. The book isn't very long at all (which could be viewed as a positive thing) so I think £12.99 was expensive. To me, it seems like it's a £7.99 book. However, I'm still glad I bought it.
We'll see if it...
Published on 8 May 2009 by Ms. J. Anslow

3.0 out of 5 stars Just one extra tip
Published on 8 Oct 2009 by Mr. D. M. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Just one extra tip, 8 Oct 2009
Mr. D. M. Smith (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
I found this book to be a useful guide, with some helpful tips for my first marathon, but to be honest I'd read a lot of the content on Runner's World forums beforehand too. I ran my first marathon in 4:04, and apart from a couple of factors that I've put down to lack of experience i.e. starting right at the back of a very busy London Marathon (note to self to put down a 'slightly' faster prediction time for 2010), I can honestly say I think the reason I did not run under 4 hours was because nowhere in all my reading, including this book, did anyone tell me to account for the extra distance you actually run during a marathon. This might seem like a stupid mistake on my behalf, but throughout this book it tells you to run consistent 9 min/miles, which should bring you in around 3:56, but unless you follow the blue line on the ground religiously, you like me, will end up running 26.7 miles, and as I'd worked out before the race that if I was struggling, that to get under 4 hours I only needed to run at 9:09 pace, I came in late. Even if I'd managed to stick to 9 min/miles I would have been over the 4 hours. So I just thought I would remind people to make allowance for the extra distance if running a big marathon! BTW, I have a place for 2010 and will be following the 3:45 regime this time! Wish me luck.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the book for a beginner, 27 July 2009
S. Pedlow (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
I ran the Barcelona marathon in March of this year, I read an excellent book which literally addressed everything I needed to get me to the finish line. I bought 4 months as I am running the Amsterdam marathon in October and want to improve on my time. To surmise-I am a beginner in the world of marathons!

First off, I was surprised that the book was so small. Training for a marathon in a big commitment and you need good, comprehensive mental and physical training programme (in that order of importance too). Secondly, a few chapters into the book Kuehls starts touting Runners world (a magazine he writes for) and drops running shoe brand names-this actually annoyed me.

The book is a simple read-but you have to purchase it well in advance of four months to your marathon. The theory behind the title goes on the premise that you can train at a reasonable intensity for 45 minutes prior to commencing your 4 months to a 4 hour marathon training programme.

For first time marathoners I would steer well clear of this book, the training programmes do look convinicing-but the 'Non-runners marathon Trainer' Whitsett et al. is a far, far better read and a million times more comprehensive. Simply put-I would not have crossed the finish line (feeling as good as I did) without reading the Non-Runners marathon trainer). In fact for the Amsterdam marathon I am consulting the aforementioned book for a refresher!

1.0 out of 5 stars You can get everything from the web free that is in this book, 20 Mar 2010
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
Written for a USA audience and very basic. For example it tells you to eat more carbs! Take a look at site as such as runners world's website and you'll get more detail. Not worth spending money on this book it is a bit naff

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 22 Oct 2009
Mrs. A. Campion (Warwick, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
I was very disappointed with this book. It was incredibly thin on information. I cannot imagine it being of any use to anyone unless they were totally new to running and knew no more about marathon running than that it's 26 miles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book but overpriced, 8 May 2009
Ms. J. Anslow - See all my reviews
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
We'll see if it delivers on its promise in September when I run the marathon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, 17 Jun 2009
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
Before I read this book I had ran one marathon in an embarassing 5 hours 20 mins.

After reading it I completed the Vancouver marathon in 3.58.

It's a great book. It's very short and contains only relevant information which is handy because there's no waffle to wage through so you can utilise your leisure time efficiently.

I would strongly recommend this to inexperienced runners

4.0 out of 5 stars Foolproof amateurs' guide, 25 Aug 2009
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
The tone is a bit patronising, but this book works! I'm sporty but not a runner, and I followed the guide to the letter, finishing first marathon in 3:57.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prompt good service, 26 May 2013
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
Does exactly what it says useful tips and helpful programmes. Would recommend it as a basic guide to running marathon

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 13 May 2013
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
Incredible book, very simply written, amusing at times. Have used it for two marathons and it is sensible and doesn't overload you with jargon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommend, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon (Paperback)
Good training advice book, a few different training plans for different time aims. Plenty of explanation for the different types of training runs. Can thoroughly recommend.

4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon
4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon by Dave Kuehls (Paperback - 27 Jun 2006)