on 16 May 2000
I got to this book from a banner ad, and thought it'd be so much toffee, but hey, I'll read anything. It *does* read like so much american twaddle from a UK point of view, but it's twaddle that makes sense, and it works. It's not trying to sell happiness, which I've had plenty bumph do before, it just suggests how to alter the way you do things so you don't get in the way of your own happiness - something I've been doing for years. I thought I was going to have to give up my home study degree, because I couldn't get motivated, and now I'm up to date and enjoying the work. I've had two job interviews with a company I'd really love to work for, (I've never been confident enough to do well in a first interview before) and had a raise from bosses who suddenly realise they need me. It's not a book that's done this, of course, it's me - but the book certainly helped.
on 19 July 1999
While many of us work very hard, few of us can sincerely claim to be truely fulfilled and genuinely happy. From analysis of the life stories of many genuinely happy people, Hicks and Foster synthesize a simple yet powerful and practical model for achieving happiness in our daily lifes.
Though "How We Choose to be Happy" is not a psychology book, the Nine Step Model is firmly founded in Human Potential psychology. All we Humans want to be in control of our lives. When we aren't in control we feel powerless, victimized and possibly alienated. When we are in control, we feel powerful, actualized and HAPPY. This well written book helps us recognize a straight forward path toward greater personal control of our lives and the rewarding happiness that results.
I highly recommend for old and young--anyone searching for more complete meaning in their lifes.
Richard Neslund
on 7 December 2008
I read this book several months ago when i was feeling pretty down. It is a very readable book by authors who come accross as very likeable and genuine. It is packed full of very practical down to earth advice on how you have the power to make the choices which can make you as happy as you want to be. A very helpful and inspirational book. If you do as it tells you i'm pretty sure it will help you to become happier. It has helped me.
on 14 May 1999
I loved this book. It provided me with practical advice on making my life happier. It inspired me. It's a quick read, full of delightful and insightful stories along with very concrete ways to integrate the 9 choices described in the book into my own life. I loved the juxtaposition of quotes from ordinary people with the quotes from famous people throughout history. I highly recommend this book.
on 29 September 2009
Ordered this book after it was featured in Oprah's magazine. It is super and has really made me look at life in a different way. The whole essence of it is that we choose to be happy or not, and we choose how to react when unfortunate things happen in our lives. We can choose differently if we think about it and greatly improve our contentment with life. Greatly recommended.
on 25 July 1999
Beware of dismissing this book as a typical self-help book! Based on research of people who are happy, Foster and Hicks have written a book that is useful to a wide spectrum of people in many different walks of life. Their 9 characteristics are useful in business, education, and personal awareness. Highly recommended!
on 12 April 1999
Foster and Hicks are wonderful guys who discovered a model for happiness that is practical and inspiring. They interviewed people who were referred to them as 'the happiest person they know'. As they interviewed these individuals, 9 basic choices, or habits or beliefs surfaced. Consistently these choices emerged with each interview they conducted. The ideas are not totally new, in fact many of them are ancient ideas repackaged in such a manner that they can be easily understood and used. I read the book in just a few sittings. I enjoyed it very much.
on 3 January 2011
If you're feeling down this book may really help you.It is well written, clear and easy to understand which is important if you're feeling low and vulnerable.
I have read a few self help books recently and struggled to get through a couple, mainly because they seemed too complicated for me. I felt this book to be genuine, I liked its firm but gentle tone and I read it from cover to cover and do feel that I have benefitted from it.
on 23 April 1999
A clear, entertaining and immensely readable blueprint for better living, for better understanding of ourselves and those around us. I highly recommend this book.
on 10 July 2013
Down-to-earth information and advice on how to adopt and maintain an optimistic outlook on life. A reminder that happiness is a choice we consciously make.