5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, easy guide to composition and actually drawing!, 24 April 2002
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
As a latecomer to drawing I have acquired a number of books on 'how to draw'. Jack Hamm's book on landscapes and scenery is by far the best. It explains in wonderfully simple terms how to compose and design a picture. Then follow hundreds of small sketches which show how to draw trees, sky, water, rocks, clouds etc, and then put it all together, in such a simple and straightforward matter that within a very short space of time (couple of weeks) you are able to produce very acceptable work. This book answers the beginner's question 'Yes, but how do you start to draw?' and gives you tremendous confidence to get out there and do it!
The whole approach is written in a a fresh and engaging manner. A great instruction book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book about the principles of landscape drawing, 24 July 2010
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
This is a great book to learn about the principles of landscape drawing. It demonstrates how to "guide the eye" through the scenery and how to "hold the balance". Very simple and understandable sketches demonstrate the change of mood or the difference between "this image is right" and "there is something wrong". The impact of light and shade is demonstrated excellently or how to paint a landscape during the different times of the day in the different type of light.
Beside the small demonstation sketches are very impressive, full scale examples given.

I absolutly love this book. The only disadvantage in my opinion is, that almost every image is drawn in a rough soft pencil stile as seen on the front cover. I still strongly recommend this book for all those who like to learn how to composite and balance a landscape image.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, concise and brilliant, 6 July 2011
M. P. Williamson "Mike W" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
This book is one of the most solid I have ever read on composition. It really explains things well and the illustrations are quick, simple and very effective.

It was also dirt cheap! a total bargain at the price!

I regularly buy art books as there's always more to learn, but this is one I come back to all the time. It's useful for more than landscapes too in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate to buy this book, 1 Mar 2010
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
All of Jack Hamms' books are absolutely packed with information, observations, and examples. The amount of educational value at the low published price is phenomenal. Less than the cost of a decent pad of drawing paper! Go on, buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing approach to sketchings!, 13 Jun 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
Concise and clear, with a multitude of examples and direction. I consider this book as essential to sketching as my pencil and paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Detailed Introduction for a beginner, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
I have found that this book encourages you to experiment, copy the drawings and provides a great deal of information on how to structure your drawings to make them come alive. I am feeling more confident of taking a sketch book on holiday this year and drawing in public. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to be able to sketch and act as a sound basis for moving onto painting landscapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars very inspirational and clear, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
This book is absolutely packed with ideas and techniques, and is a lot better than i was expecting, it tackles many more aspects of the environment than I had thought of, and although I bought it mainly to practice drawing trees, I love the cloud formations and seascapes, I can't wait to get started! I am a self teaching beginner to drawing, and I think it will work for me very nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 21 May 2013
Rosa Maria Branco Butes (portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
Great book. Studying this lessons i will become a Pro on art felting. Recommend to my friends. Hurra i am happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - lots of good, clear explanations, 20 Feb 2013
artiquarian (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
I chose this book partly on price, but also because it's 'old school' as far as being down-to-earth, no-frills and with excellent tips and techniques.
It's jam-packed with clear examples, with no waffle to wade through.
I can see that it's been in print since 1972, so it's obviously been selling for 40 years and yet it's still very relevant to the drawing beginner as well as the 'returner' to art like me.
Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes (Paperback)
Very Good. I have learnt so much. My only regret is I did not come across art books by Jack Hamm sooner as I went to art college for years when younger and have never been taught anywhere near as much as I hvae in the books by because jack Hamm and Loomis books my art has improved a great deal. They inform you of tried and tested methods which have artists have used for down the ages. Worth getting you wont regret it.

Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes
Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes by Jack Hamm (Paperback - 1 Jan 2001)