5.0 out of 5 stars Junior necessity? I'll say...
Having owned and read the adult version of this book, I must say, its younger brother is probably essential for children!

Although I do not currently own it, I've managed to obtain a preview. Thus, I can NOW state that I SHALL be buying it for my younger familiars.

*Dark laugh*

In all seriousness, it's a must for kids and can even prove...
Published on 25 Sept. 2006 by EWGA6

2.0 out of 5 stars Eats, Shoots & Leaves - left me cold!
This book was really hyped and I thought that it would be really good. What it actually comes across as is a kind of Grumpy Old Men moan on about punctuation and after a while it just isn't funny any more.

For me this was a book that you would want to dip into ocasionally, it is certainly not a page turner!
Published on 26 Sept. 2006 by K. Middleton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Junior necessity? I'll say..., 25 Sept. 2006

*Dark laugh*

In all seriousness, it's a must for kids and can even prove helpful for adults (such as myself) who are tearfully struggling to dominate the pedantic world of punctuation.

I hope Lynne didn't hear me say that and if she did, 'twas but a joke!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't help cheering it on, because it has done such a good job in its humble way, 28 Jan. 2008
John A. Launders "JA" (Kent) - See all my reviews
How does a book about how to use commas and colons properly have lodged itself at No 1 on bestseller lists? Maybe Lynne Truss' books success shows that it is not just a few reactionaries who care. Truss agrees it's selling off the internet and stickler-types probably don't do their shopping on the internet. Lynne Truss wonders if there might be readers whose higher education has given them at least a guilty conscience about what they have not been taught, suddenly thinking that perhaps it does matter and I wouldn't mind knowing this stuff. Those copies stacked in Waterstone's might show that there are plenty of people who want to be, as Lynne Truss puts it, 'virtuous'.

While Truss says that 'despair' gave this book its impetus, she does not sound despairing either in print or in person. The title itself is a joke, about an irate panda who walks into a cafe, orders a sandwich, eats it, draws a gun and fires two shots into the air. The waiter finds the explanation for this erratic behavior in a badly punctuated wildlife manual which the bear leaves behind: Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! tells you the rules, but is also full of jokes and anecdotes. It is a sort of celebration of punctuation. You can't help cheering it on, because it has done such a good job in its humble way. She speaks of the delights of the semi-colon with relish. She has listened to the man from the Apostrophe Protection Society (yes, it exists) but does not sound like a member of any such group. "I was so worried when I wrote the book that people would assume that anyone interested in this subject would be small-minded". --Lynne Truss.

I don't really know where punctuation is going. But this is a very good moment to look at it and see what state it's in. The internet and emails have come along very conveniently for people who didn't learn punctuation and can therefore get by. Punctuation helps give rhythm and a tone of voice to writing, and Truss thinks it no accident that readers of emails often find it difficult to pick up the tone of the person who's written it, with all those dashes. The grace notes get lopped off and it becomes very bald. So people start needing exclamation marks and capital letters, desperately trying to express a tone of voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Endangered System, 25 May 2015
Phillip Taylor (Richmond Upon Thames, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! (Hardcover)
PUNCTUATION: THE ENDANGERED SYSTEM

An appreciation by Phillip Taylor MBE and Elizabeth Taylor of Richmond Green Chambers

A great piece of humour and yet with a serious aim, this little book has become a runaway bestseller overnight and rightly so. As Lynne Truss has explained, there are many people who have little idea of the basics of punctuation today. This does not surprise us in the slightest.

As examiners, we have found scant regard continues to be paid to full stops, commas and question marks. However, by far the number one serial offender is the missing apostrophe. The story of the panda eating in a restaurant, then shoots the restaurant up and departs is an amusing story with an important message. The placing of punctuation in the wrong place can completely alter the message being conveyed… at some cost.

“A revolution in punctuation”, this book has been dedicated to the memory of the striking Bolshevik printers in St Petersburg who, in 1905, demanded to be paid the same rate for punctuation marks as for letters, and thereby directly precipitated the first Russian Revolution.

We have come a long way in over 100 years and the main casualty has been the written word. The ‘shorthand’ we have encountered in the last six years using the internet is enough to convince us that this book should be compulsory reading in schools hence a schools edition in 2006 with illustrations.

Besides, this book is a good read and very funny in places. To sell 50,000 copies in just over a week on release is a great achievement! It is true to say that the book makes a powerful case for the preservation of the system of what is interestingly described as ‘printing conventions’. However, this is not a book for pedants but for everyone, including members of the Bar who write lengthy Opinions and the judges who read them. It has never surprised us how cross the Judiciary become when they see sloppy legal paperwork. We expect it from solicitors but we must maintain a very high standard at the Bar, even with the infernal internet and toxic text messages.

Well done, Lynne for reminding us of our legal roots. ‘Sticklers unite’ she says, ‘you have nothing to lose but your sense of proportion – and arguably you didn’t have much of that to begin with’. Do look at the end of the book for a fine bibliography – all the usual suspects are there including one Bill Bryson and his ‘Troublesome Words’, and the excellent Philip Howard’s ‘The State of the Language: English observed.’

“Eats, Shoots and Leaves” remains a 21st century book to treasure for what could become an endangered system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, but overpriced, 24 Mar. 2013
Super book. Lots of fun. Very accessible for a nine year old.

Rather pricey, though, for a 30-or-so page book.

4.0 out of 5 stars And Relax, 6 Oct. 2006
The drawings and sentences in this book complement each other incredibly well. I have several nieces and nephews, all under 8, and this year they shall all get this book. It is a charming and funny creation. I think it is a book that will stimulate the imagination, it does not say right from wrong, it is purely a fun book and should be read as such. I agree with the comments that it is not a page turner- it is a page stopper- giving time to take in the expresions and actions of the children in the drawings.

P.S.

I am from the lost generation that lacks punctuation training. A few words to all those who say it isn't important: students from state schools will never get jobs in law and media due to a lack of this skill. Punctation is essential in these fields, and students who get taught it in private schools will take those jobs. The class system is alive and well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where was this when I was at school?, 5 Oct. 2006
I got this book for my kids and they're loving it! The pictures are really nice and colourful, which keeps their attention. I'm no grammar expert but hopefully my kids will be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eats, Shoots and Leaves for children, 16 Jan. 2012
I sent this as a present to my nephews, because it doesn't look too much like a school book (which means work) and is entertaining while teaching them a lot which isn't always taught at schools! (Pedant alert! don't let me get started on why children have such little grasp of grammar.)
The pictures make it appealing to all ages - I have used it for helping adults as it puts things simpler than adult books yet they aren't too embarrassed about looking at a children's book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Retraction of earlier feedback, 30 Mar. 2014
When I submitted my original feedback I was annoyed at the delay in delivery as the books ordered were part of a birthday present. I now accept that it was not awesome books fault but the carrier. If I could re-do the feedback they would receive 5 stars from me as their customer services are outstanding and i would recommend them to eveyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comma help - ideal starter, 22 Mar. 2015
Mrs. Kathryn Booth "Boothy" (England) - See all my reviews
I am 36. I am useless using comma's. This book is aimed at kids, but it was a great starter for me. I now have a few other work books. Nothing seems to cover just comma's. This was a good start and it will be saved for when my kids need it

4.0 out of 5 stars Greta book, 13 Oct. 2013
The book was just what I was looking for to teach some 12 year old about grammar.
The book itself was as described, second hand and showed slight wear and tear.
A good purcahse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! by Lynne Truss (Hardcover - 25 July 2006)
Used & New from: £1.77