5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book - highly commended
This is a surprisingly large book - just over 12"/30cm tall, and it is an absolute classic. It is clearly intended to be read by more than 1 generation of children, as the hardcover binding is of the highest quality and looks particularly robust.

Published on 26 Nov 2008 by James Bury

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!
One of the other reviewers states that this is a "large" book. The copy I received was instead quite small - about the size of a CD. Furthermore, be warned that this is "an abridged edition" - and in fact, as is revealed within, "retold by Watty Piper".

So - this is not the original, either in format or in text!!
Published 10 months ago by Pascal Tiscali

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book - highly commended, 26 Nov 2008
James Bury (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could (Hardcover)

It is a story of how kindness and perseverance can save the day, and how a positive attitude can achieve great things. What sets this edition apart is the stunning new illustrations. The cover picture on Amazon doesn't do it justice - these have to be some of the finest paintings ever produced for a children's book, and are works of art in their own right. They capture the mood of the characters beautifully and are an absolute delight.

The book would be ideal for children aged 2-6 and is sure to become a much-loved favourite. I bought this for my children for Christmas and I can't wait to give it to them! This is a beautiful, top quality book with a wonderful, positive message. Very highly commended indeed.

Update Jan 2009: Having given this to my youngest son (age 4) at Christmas, it is now his favourite book (and much loved by his 6-year-old brother too). It really is a superb book with a great story and beautiful pictures. I can't recommend this too highly - the image on Amazon does it no justice - it is an absolute delight.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!, 26 Sep 2013

So - this is not the original, either in format or in text!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book- asure fire hit!, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could (Hardcover)
I asked my mum to buy this story when she went to America a few years ago and it was this version that she brought home. Although not that well known here, in the States this story has been a childhood classic for generations of American children. Although this was initially bought for my little boy, (I have boy/girl twins), my little girl has come to love it as well. My children were about 2 when we received it and they are now nearly 5 and it still remains a firm favourite. It is a charming story and a beautifully illustrated book. It is nice and big so they can sit either side of me and look at the pictures and the colours are gorgeous and vivid!
A really lovely book that would make a fantastic present for any little boy aged 2-6. In fact I have just ordered another copy on Amazon to give to my little godson, who is nearly 2, for Christmas.
A beautiful and charming edition that will be treasured and probably passed down from Father to Son. If you decide to order this, you will not be disappointed....

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Engine that could, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could (Hardcover)
Brilliant story for smaller children. Should be read to every child at least once to encourage them to achieve their very best

5.0 out of 5 stars Childs Book The Little Engine That Could, 24 April 2012
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could (Hardcover)
An excellent book which my Grandson loved as the story unfolded with excellent illustrations . It tells a story of what life holds and how problems are overcome .

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for your Inner Child :), 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could (Hardcover)
I ordered this book after discovering it while reading an Inner Child therapy blog. Inner Child therapy is something that I have engaged in throughout my adult years in an attempt to 're-find myself'.
I dragged myself thru high school, a scary unknown world the result of colonial migration to a wild world. I consider myself a Third Culture Kid. The experience created a miserable and isolated young man who didn't know (and still struggles with) social skills, I have spent the first 30 years of my adult life first of all being so angry and out of control I can't even begin to share the crap I dragged myself thru. Finally after a total meltdown, I began to turn all this mess around and work towards discovering for the first time what it means to be a normal balanced adult human being. Well, that is to say, having just turned 50, I'm, finally getting there. My adult life has become a journey of self-search to find the person trapped under so much baggage, the Inner Child work.

Inner Child therapy means to me the discovery of my 'inner life'. It means how I talk to myself and relate to myself in normal everyday life. I have tried talking to 'normal balanced adults' about what they think about in their normal day to day lives, with little success. It is a life they do not wish to or are afraid to share their inner thoughts. So I turned to what was or wasn't happening inside me. Basically, I came to the conclusion that inside me, I was dead, shut down, hibernating, just not switched on. Thus began my quest into the world of 'Inner Child Therapy' and what it means to have a 'normal' conversation with yourself.

Back to the book:
Dr Margaret Paul is a leader in the field. Her stuff is, well, great, enlightening, a vision! She said she grew up with this book and took strength from it.
As an adult who (unfortunately) seems to spend toooooo much time working against overwhelming inner pain and who yearns for a more normalized life, this book has been a beacon. I can only recommend this book for anyone who wants to strengthen the inner bonds between themselves and their 'inner family'. Making the bond to your Inner Child.

Wishing you the long road to self-realisation I have had. It seems to me if more people had such a struggle, the world would be a much more peaceful place.
I'm still trying to work out what this contradiction is all about

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story for the children and adults, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could (Hardcover)
You will not believe but this book was recommended by Jeffrey Gitomer - American sales guru. I bought it and read it with my kids, age 3 and 4.

What a fantastic story it is, teaching children and adults to overcome adversaries and believe in ourselves. Everyone gave up on the toys but not that little blue engine that could.

'I know I can, I know I can, I know I can'

'I knew I could, I knew I could, I knew I could...' At one stage my voice was shaking and a I dropped a tear - loved it all.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 11 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could (Hardcover)
I had not come across this book in the UK as a child so , really relied on Customers' Reviews. I like the illustrations but, at 18 months my Grandaughter is too young to settle to it. I think it is the kind of book a parent would love to pass on to a Child if they themselves had it read to them. So, I don't have that affinity with the Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant illustrations for an old story, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Little Engine That Could (Hardcover)
Great book for kids who love trains, and the pics are big, bright and bold . A very popular read every time

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood friend, 11 Aug 2013
This book has shaped my life. Whatever situation I find myself, I keep hearing the little engine chugging, "I think I can, I think I can!" up the hill!

The Little Engine That Could
The Little Engine That Could by Piper Watty (Hardcover - 1 Dec 2005)
10.69