Published 5 months ago by Amy Alkon

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title and bloated content
As a few American reviewers have quite rightly pointed out, the title of this book is very misleading. It gives only generalised insights into how to excel at Maths and Science. It is more a book on how learning works and how to be a disciplined and effective learner.

There are no guides that will help you with the specifics of Maths or Science. It is often the...
Published 8 months ago by Mr. N. Moffatt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Life- And Work-Transforming Book -- Even If You Don't Care In The Slightest About Math, 22 Dec. 2014
Amy Alkon "the_advice_goddess" (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra) (Paperback)

This book IS a book on how to excel at math and science -- even if you previously flunked them. However, it is also much more. It's a book that is transformative for anyone who does creative work that requires writing and thinking and taking in information and creating something new out of it.

The science on how to do optimal work in “A Mind For Numbers” has transformed my writing life from hellish to a tough job I love. Through what I learned from about diffuse mode thinking, I’m careful to put in daily work in reading, researching, and writing, especially on tough concepts.

Our minds, as Dr. Oakley explains in the book, seem to do a lot of work in the “background” while we’re sleeping and doing things other than working. Each day, I find that I’m enjoying my work so much more because it isn’t a struggle; I, piece by piece, simply pull together tough concepts into a coherent and far better whole.

Dr. Oakley’s book ultimately helped me enjoy what I do in a way I never could before, when I procrastinated and was stressed out and then tried to shoehorn a bunch of information I hadn't processed into something coherent. This book was a life-changer for me.

--Amy Alkon, science-based syndicated columnist and radio host; author, "Good Manners for Nice People Who Sometimes Say [a naughty word] (St. Martin's Press, June 2014)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book with helpful insights into how human mind learns ..., 29 Sept. 2014
Amazing book with helpful insights into how human mind learns and practical exercises to improve learning and any attention-needing activity. I wish I read this while I was at university, or even in high-school! Now this new knowledge helps me at work when I need to attack a difficult/time-consuming task or am learning about new technology (I work as an engineer). Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... author offers called Learning How to Learn which was great! In fact the book is more than it's ..., 13 Jan. 2015
I bought this book based on the on-line MOOC course the author offers called Learning How to Learn which was great! In fact the book is more than it's cover as you really are learning how to better read, understand and recall i.e learn. I found it sparked me to pay more attention to this process because don't we all read and forget so much.
She writes simple and clear and gives you tips and techniques which really work if you take a moment to put them into practice like closing the book and asking yourself to summarize what you just read, or discussing/explaining the concept/idea with a spouse, friend or partner, or using techniques to avoid procrastination which means you accomplish more and more easily. This book is not only for students, it's application is for everyone including I would say seniors would want to remember better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book helping to accurately pinpoint the fundamentals about learning ..., 29 Oct. 2014
A great book helping to accurately pinpoint the fundamentals of learning how to learn, be it for math, science and any other discipline. Highlighting the brain modes and type of memories used when learning. It gives plenty of techniques to make this process more enjoyable and fulfilling. It also debunks lots of misconceptions about learning that could cost you time and energy. The structure of the book might surprise some, as it utilises interleaving and recalling, nevertheless it works. In addition to this book, in her MOOC, Barbara Oakley gives a fantastic contribution to the development of individuals. Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars how you can best facilitate your brain's capacity to learn, 24 Jan. 2015
David Wilson (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
A very interesting read. Slightly misleading title, in my opinion, as there is no mathematical thinking involved - rather its about understanding the learning process itself and neuroscience research behind it - for which wasn't my motivation behind buying the book. I then discovered that there is a free 4-week Coursera course called "Learning how to Learn" which I suppose is based on this book and is presented by the author herself.

In truth I found the book and the subsequent online course utterly fascinating, albeit nothing really to do directly with mathematical or scientific ideas which is what I had originally sought.

So, this is a book about understanding how you learn, how you can best facilitate your brain's capacity to learn, how it can be equipped to deal with the more abstract and technical ideas that form maths and science, but in truth this book helps in all general aspects of learning and study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended to everyone!, 18 Sept. 2014
Totally recommend this book to everybody! I am loving it and Barbara Oakley is so good as explaining really complicated issues in a simple and accesible way! Thanks Barbara!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and helpful, 22 Oct. 2014
Barbara presents her Coursera lectures in "Learing How to Learn" clearly and sympathetically and helpfully - and her book is a good adjunct

5.0 out of 5 stars Far more Useful than I Expected - not just for maths & science, 10 April 2015
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I purchased this. From the title I expected some hints & tips on remembering formulae and mental arithmetic shortcuts. However, this book turned out to be far more useful than that. I would describe it more as a guide to more effective learning. The book addresses topics including: Preventing procrastination, 'Modes' of thinking, 'Chunking', memory enhancement.

I think the author has unnecessarily limited her potential audience by the choice of title. I think most of the techniques are applicable to fields well outside of maths & science. I originally purchased this book as I have a personal interest in maths & science. However, since reading this book, I have applied the techniques to a number of business problems and I have been surprised at how useful & effective the techniques have been. I feel like it has 'kick-started' my brain back into 'learning' mode again after years of operating in its comfort zone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it before you give up on math studies, 19 Oct. 2014
The amazing changing of mind related to math. Every kid should read this before give up on math at school

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn how to learn!, 30 Sept. 2014
D. K. Talbot - See all my reviews
A fantastic guide to making learning new stuff easier and more effective, these simple techniques should be the first thing kids are taught in primary school. Oh and there is a great free course to go with the book called Learning How to Learn at www.coursera.org.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›