4.0 out of 5 stars On form
If you've never read a Lucas Davenport crime novel, the good news is that you jump in anywhere you like. Each book is self-contained, with a relationships and politics spanning the series with little effect on the main stories. Hidden Prey is a great place to start.
Published on 11 April 2006 by Mr. G. Battle

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this edition if you are short sighted
I'm loving this book but the type face is so small. I read all the time and have excellent eyesight (tested only last week by an opthamologist) , but I don't think I have ever read a book where I have had to concentrate so much just to read the print. For the first time ever I am using a magnification aid!
Published on 21 Jan 2009 by Leigh O'Connor

4.0 out of 5 stars On form, 11 April 2006
Mr. G. Battle (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hidden Prey (Paperback)
It's a well driven plot, with twists and turns, great new characters and is compulsive reading. As ever, the body count rises and Lucas, our sarcastic and beloved hero, is clearly on form. If anyone throught the series was stale than this is a sign that Sandford knows how to reenergise an old formula and can inject life in to Lucas's aging bones yet. There are moments of great humour as well as suspense, a page turner until the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars An ice-cool pro, 17 Jan 2005
Mr. Warren M. Fisher (East Grinstead, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hidden Prey (Paperback)
Another accomplished entry in Sandford's 'Prey' novels from an author who rarely disappoints, indeed the series featuring detective Lucas Davenport ranks among the finest in modern crime writing. Lean, economical and as ice-cool as a Minneapolis winter, this novel won't disappoint fans, and is a perfect introduction to Sandford and his hard-bitten cop hero.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is the Cold War Still Alive ?, 4 Jun 2007
G. M. Buchanan "Page marker" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hidden Prey (Paperback)
This is the first John Sandford book that I have read. The story is about a dead Russian being found on the shore of Lake Superior, a female lawyer who is down and out living on the streets, a group of russian imigrants that left their homeland a number of years previous, A Russian police officer or is she KGB ? Add to that our hero Lucas Davenport and put them all in the pot and stir well. Result ? A cracking good story that will keep you involved right to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than holiday reading ...., 18 Sep 2007
Steve Homer (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hidden Prey (Paperback)
There is s fine line between a book that that twists and turns your mind in pain and one that challenges you so that you can ignore the rigours of budget air travel. This book captured me in the first few pages as the lead character Davenport starts the book laying on the sofa watching golf and scratching .... Its a man thing...

The book moves at a good pace, some great dialogue and wry asides keep the reader smiling and turning the pages. A book that reads quickly and one that you observe rather than immerse yourself in it. The end is clear from early in the book but the closure of the trail of events reveal some nice twists and turns.

More than a holiday book, great for long flights or laying in the sofa at the weekend...... scratching....

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this edition if you are short sighted, 21 Jan 2009
Leigh O'Connor (Llandrinio, Powys) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars has not come yet., 27 April 2013
Arthur Koch "sculptor" (Impruneta, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hidden Prey (Paperback)
tis book has yet to arrive, so its impossible to assess Ye gods, what more can I say than this!!

3.0 out of 5 stars First Sandford read, 15 Mar 2009
This review is from: Hidden Prey (Paperback)
Crime mysteries with a police theme are one of my favourite relaxation read, so I looked through suggestions on Amazon and found the Sandford series that seemed to fit the bill. It took me a while to adjust to the style which was fast paced and intense with well written descriptive phrases, but half way through the book I was annoyed by the constant expletives. It wasn't a book that was hard to put down until near the end and I then I found the ending unsatisfying. I never really identified with the main character and wouldn't buy another Sandford in the series, but then I love the Donna Leon books which I find a more relaxing and memorable read.

Hidden Prey (Sandford, John)
Hidden Prey (Sandford, John) by John Sandford (Hardcover - May 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01