on 14 May 2003
I must admit to having being spoilt by Ms.Roberts excellent recent books - Three Fates and Chesapeake Blue to name two. Here I feel that the standard has dropped somewhat - that's not to say it was'nt good - it just was'nt great and that is what I've come to expect from this consistently talented author.
The book had too many plotlines going on all at once for me - there was Callie the archeologist on an exciting dig, meeting up with ex-hubby Jake on the site, finding out she was adopted, dealing with her adoptive parents who had never told her this news, meeting her birth mother and her brother, brothers susequent relationship with the lawyer Callie hires to find out her past - she was stolen and sold as a black market baby - and then the murders start.......... I'm exhausted just trying to remember it all.
As a result of all this, the characters personalities were under-developed and it was harder to get "into" the storyline, the supporting players who normally provide good back-drop and suspects for all the murder and mayhem barely left an impression and so when the "final curtain" came it was all a bit anti-climatic....
Having said all that, it did hold the interest to the end and if it were a first novel by anyone else it would be a 5 star..... it's just not vintage Nora.
When a worker at an Antietam Creek construction site uncovered a five thousand-year-old human skull, construction work stopped and experts were called in. Dr. Callie Dunbrook was the archaeologist assigned to head a team and work the site. The only big problem to her was that she was forced to work with her irritating, but irresistible, ex-husband, Jake.
Later, Callie was approached by a woman that claimed Callie was the daughter someone had kidnapped from her long ago. Callie's world would change drastically. And the more Callie dug for the truth about her past, the more danger surrounded everyone she cared for!
***** A well written novel that overflows with awesome main and secondary characters. Be warned that there are some spicy hot love scenes mixed in with this tale of thrills, mystery, danger, and romance. An excellent story by one of the best authors of today! *****
Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews
on 19 September 2004
The heroine, Callie, is a strong independent woman, and an amazing archaeological find throws her together with her 'ex'-husband, Jake. Nora Roberts weaves her story around these two individuals surrounding them with murder, mystery and romance. For someone who is lucky enough to have never been personally affected by a child kidnapping it was a real eye opener. The whole situation is dealt with extremely well allowing the reader to experience the range of emotions, from the birth family to the adopted family and of course the 'child' in the middle. If this is the first Nora Roberts book you read, I don't feel this book is quite the same as her other books which tend to be more involved with Irish legends.
on 24 July 2010
"(A)brasive, verging on rude..." is how another reviewer described the heroine and, frankly, I think she was being kind. I didn't like Callie at all --she is so up herself it is not true --yet we are supposed to believe everyone adores her including her ex-husband who salivates whenever she walks in a room. Oh, puh-leeze! It reads like wish fullfilment on the authors part. Dream on Nora! Nobody would fancy this self-obsessed berk never mind adore!

The dialogue is snappy and it is a complex tale. That's the plus side. On the negative, the plot bears no examination. It is preposterous to be honest and were it not for a convenient series of coincidences it wouldn't even get off the ground.

It's a well-written no brainer - so if you can switch yours off then read and enjoy.
on 3 May 2004
I think this is a great new Nora Roberts romantic suspense title. I loved the heroine gradually uncovering the hidden secrets in her family background. And the well-researched archaelogical setting really interesting and was a first from Nora, I thought. This is a carefully plotted story with Nora's usual good strong characters and I enjoyed it a lot. I felt it covered new ground. But usually Nora's new novels do that anyway. Highly recommended and an exciting and romantic read.
on 11 May 2004
Nora Roberts' novels remind me of Chinese take-away meals...you look forward to them all day, they're very tasty and easy to digest...but a couple of hours later you're hungry again.
But that doesn't stop you going through the same thing the following weekend.
I LOVE Nora Roberts and I've read a lot of her books. All of the plots are roughly similar, but there's nothing wrong with that. They're all enjoyable, well written, fun, exciting and don't take themselves too seriously.
If you're looking for something to read whilst in the bath with a glass of wine, or in a cosy armchair with a chocolate bar and cup of tea, then this is the author for you. It doesn't have to be this title, it could be any of hers.
Highly recommended.
on 9 March 2011
I read this novel in less than 24 hours, it was so gripping that I had to keep turning the pages to find out what would happen next. As expected with a Nora Roberts novel there is a love story, and this one wasn't overly sweet as it had the plot lines of mstery adoption and black market babies thrown in there too which didn't make it plausable to have an overly sweet romance. Callie was relatable as she was a strong woman who knew what she wanted but also learned that it wasn't a weakness to lean on someone else, whether it was Jake or close friends. I liked that Jake was the typical rugged guy but he also had a soft side when it came to Callie which he tended to hide a lot but was starting to show to her, especially when the plot got going and he was brought into the mystery element of the story. At the heart of the novel is a family trying to understand the events of the past and trying to accept it in the present and at the same time, trying and make a new family too. At times there were quite dark elements to the novel, for example the abduction of infant babies and the consequences of that, so humour was appreciated when it was given. There were also some other plot lines which were emotional for example the story of Callie's biological parents and how her disappearance affected them, and the story of them slowly reconciling. There was also the plot line of Doug, Callie's biological brother and how he handles Callie's reappearance in their lives, along with his romance with Callie's lawyer. All in all, a great read which had a bit of everything, family, drama, murder, mystery, humour, and love.
on 28 July 2015
Birthright was my first romantic suspense book by Nora Roberts, the only others books I’ve read by her were the books in the Quartet Series which I really enjoyed but that was years ago. My friend really enjoys Nora Roberts books so she lend me her copy and now I have a great new romantic suspense author to read more from.

There wasn’t a lot of romance (even though we also had a secondary romance) in the romantic suspense but I’m okay with that in these kinds of books especially because the main couple were once married to each other. Here though, one thing was different, the way the book is written in kind of family show or small town tv movie or at least that’s the feeling I got because of the way it included characters and their lives which were all interconnected. There were two mysteries that were going on the book which were again connected but in a way I hadn’t expected which is good because a person likes to be surprised in a romantic suspense book. I also really liked Callie and Jake’s relationship, their attraction, friendship and love even though they were divorced. I thought they were sweet, both in love with each other and completely oblivious to how united they were in everyone else’s eyes. I loved the ending, it was adorable.

The only thing I didn’t like was the reason they got divorced, but overall it was a pretty good book that I could see myself rereading easily.
on 11 March 2008
I read this book after reading and falling in love with Montana Sky. I read anticipating more of the suspense, romance and chemistry as Montana Sky and i was not disappointed. Whilst being slightly predictable with the lead characters (Callie: the stubborn but beautiful strong willed heroine and Jake: the ruggedly handsome, protective love interest)the book grabbed my intention is the same way and i found myself not wanting to put it down.

There is a lot going on as another reviewier noted but i wouldn't say it's hard to follow and that is what makes the story interesting.

I tend to find all of Nora's books contain my favoutite elements all mixed togethr such as intrigue, suspense, romance and a strong female character.

I would recommend this to all fans of Nora Roberts and indeed those who have never picked up one of her books before.

Enjoy!
on 16 October 2011
This is another great Nora Roberts book. I have read a lot of her books and some I find very much the same or a bit boring, but this one I did really like.

Callie is trying to find out the truth about her past and her her abduction when she was a child. While also trying to sort out her feeling for her ex-husband. You have also got the twist of mysterious deaths at her dig site. This all ties in lovely and gives you a great book, highly recommended.