4.0 out of 5 stars For those who read this after his fall from grace
Published 20 months ago by Peter Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars There goes my hero...
That Armstrong beat cancer is something that cannot be taken away from him, and in that regard his tenacity and will to live is inspiring stuff. The rest? Pure fiction about a cycling career that was based on a lie that Armstrong fought every step of the way and didn't care who he destroyed to protect it.

Is this book still worth reading? Yes, the first part is...
Published 17 months ago by Godsballs

1.0 out of 5 stars There goes my hero..., 20 Jan 2013

Is this book still worth reading? Yes, the first part is compelling, the rest will chill your bones at the lie and the the myth that Armstrong sought the build.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not about the bike....it's about the EPO, cortisone, actovegin, testosterone and blood doping, 11 Oct 2012
It's not about the bike....it's about the EPO, cortisone, actovegin, testosterone and blood doping.
It's about bullying teammates and team staff to build a massive doping conspiracy, ridiculing and marginalising anyone that questions you or your unbelievable performances, and discarding and trashing the reputations of those that want no part of it.
Mind you, it's a groundbreaking employment of the unreliable narrator in a biography.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first work of Fiction!, 20 Jan 2013
A truly remarkable debut novel by someone whose previous background would not have suggested such talent. It is humbling to think of him sat up all night creating this fantastic tale for us all as he waited for the drugs to wear off so he might sleep............. It really isn't about the bike is it Lance?.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational?.....not a jot, 22 Sep 2012
Don't think his book deserves 20 words, I wouldn't waste my time reading this if you want to be inspired unless you think that success should be achieved at ANY cost....I think recent revelations confirm many peoples thoughts that illegal practises and supreme self-centredness sums up his mentality.

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who read this after his fall from grace, 7 Nov 2012
Peter Bennett (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this some while ago after getting hooked on the Tour De France this year and wanting to read everything I could lay my hands on. But I was diverted into reading the "scandal" books first, especially The Secret Race, and ended up wondering if I wanted to read It's Not About The Bike after all. I decided to read it anyway and have to say that his style of writing is very engaging but I'm stunned at the audacity of the man - all those disingenuous comments about the links between his cancer treatment and doping made as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, all the comments about facing up to death knowing he'd led his life as a good person, no cheating etc...how embarrassed he ought to be reading it back now.

But my overwhelming reaction is what a great shame that a man who showed such enormous courage (if of course we can believe his own account) battling very serious cancers and surviving against all the odds should have thrown away a legacy which would have been great even if he'd not won a single race thereafter. I'm gobsmacked!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Not About The Bike: It's about your attitude Sir, 27 July 2009
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
It takes a lot to win a record seven consecutive titles in the worlds most grueling sport. Add to that an extra-ordinarily strong body, surviving cancer, and founding your own charity, Lance Armstrong should be a role model to every lazy, greedy, or even spoilt individual out there.

So why did I complete this book finding it hard to like him?

A lot of factors distanced me from Armstrong - someone whom I've always heard of, but wanted to know more about. I like inspiring books and was persuaded to purchase by the string of positive reviews, many going as far as suggesting it's "life changing" (a bit over-ambitious). I also had the plan of handing it over to my dads-friend who has Leukemia, and had to go through Chemo herself.

The 'bulk' of the book entails Armstrong's experiences with surviving cancer - how he dealt with it emotionally, the people who he met, and his thoughts along the journey. The start of the book is dedicated to his childhood and growing up as an insecure, yet energetic kid who competed in almost every sport available to him, and the growing relationship he had with his mother; something I really could relate to as a male.

However, what becomes obvious even half way through his book is that behind his broody face is a severely arrogant, temperamental, and for the most part self-indulgent individual; traits that although have helped him win an amazing haul of Trophies and titles, inevitably make him a very difficult person to get on with or please. I grew tired of how he treated is wife, Kik (an individual who like many others Lance met, supported him 100%), as if she were luggage upon his lazy 'golf' period (post treatment), only thinking of himself and not caring for what she did with her days, or how she felt when Lance decided to pack-up from Nice and go back to the U.S, ignoring her sadness at his unrationality. As a young rider, he taunted others at the Finish line and shouted profanities upon hills to put other riders off. He lost his patience with his agent, Bill, because he was 'fed up' with not getting license deals (despite Bill's companionship and hard work since Lance was a semi-pro). He was even rude to the Nurses that helped him through each step of his treatment, and would consistently give 'as good as he got', because he doesn't take flack. But if someone is not rude to you in the first place, what is the need to be aggressive towards them?

Some of these traits can be understood. We all have different personalities and ways of treating others and life itself - this can't be helped. Their is also the issue of "What Next" - how a Survivor copes with normal life post-treatment. Yet for the most part, I was given the impression that while Lance is a genuinely special person for his competitive attitude, it strongly conflicts with those around him. He admitted himself that he doesn't "like to be cornered, as I'll always fight my way out". This impatience and aggression, however, appears to have slowed down many aspects of his life, yet the only consolation is that over time he mellowed down slightly as he experienced the love of his own, new family.

But while it's easy to respect everything he's achieved in sport, the fact of the matter is that he's not only person in the world to have experienced emotional and physical trauma, or even testicular cancer. I wouldn't even be lying if some of his trauma was his own doing; he explains to the reader at the start of the novel about he was stubborn enough to ignore groin pains, dizzy heads, weakness, tiredness and even coughing up blood not because he was un-aware of the implications, but because his riding was too important to him. That, to me, just spells out stupidity for thinking more about an inanimate carbon-fibre frame rather than ones health.

No doubt I'll get some negative-votes as I've forgot to kiss Lance's surviving-buttocks, but what has made this an eye-opening and somewhat disappointing account is that I now realise what an eccentric individual he is, full of his own self-importance and impatience with others around him. Whereas many modest sporting stars, such as tennis player Roger Federer, or footballer Ryan Giggs, set examples through a exceptional attitudes towards not just their sport but their charisma, Lance felt from an early age that he could pull fingers at people whilst riding and get away with it, because he was "competitive". The reality is that he is not just sore loser, but a sore winner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Graham Pierce's review says it all!, 2 April 2013
Read Tyler f*#!ing Hamilton's excellent book for an idea of what it is really about. Time to come clean Lance. If you do, I for one will forgive you.

1.0 out of 5 stars So Sad. The whole thing makes me feel hollow now., 28 Feb 2013
Stumbled across this and thought I'd write out a quick comment. I bought this book around the time that my father got cancer and this story inspired me to get incredibly fit for the first time in my life in aid of being strong mentally for my family. It had a massively positive influence on my life and also got me back into cycling which I got bored of in the early 90s.

The whole experience now feels hollow now and it's all because of somebody who did anything he possibly could to get an edge. Whilst reading the book I never liked Lance as a person, but saw the way he was as winning mentality. Turns out his arrogance came from his own ego and selfishness. The fact he might have even given himself the cancer due to what he did to his body just disgusts me now. The man is a disgrace to humanity. I feel a massive betrayal and will never forgive what he did to others just to keep up this facade.

God help his poor kids.

2.0 out of 5 stars Put off by his arrogance., 6 July 2009
Mr. G. Brummer "magic" (London) - See all my reviews
Armstrong is to be admired for his tenacity and will to fight on - but it's difficult to like him as he's comes over as so arrogant and filled with his own self importance. It's like watching a movie with characters you don't really like! Maybe it's just me, but I delight in following sportsman who are humble and modest (Roger Federer for instance)Struggled to finish the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars This should be in the fiction section, 5 Feb 2013
I read this years ago when I saw Lance as a heroic figure. I watched him race, adored his ability to keep on battling, and admired his persistance in trying to prove his innocence.

I now only see him as yet another cheating sportsman who has robbed victory from others who don't cheat. I now utterly dispise him as a sportsman and it is only his charity work that lets him maintain a tiny shred of decency. This is a very tiny shred though as his charity success was obtained only as a result of his cheating.

It's Not about the Bike: My Journey Back to Life
It's Not about the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Sally Jenkins (Hardcover - 29 Jun 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01