on 27 March 2001
I came home from a golfing holiday recently with the intention of giving the game up. Although the company was great the golf was awful - i got worse throughout the week until i felt like i had never held a club before and i have been playing for 20 years. BUT i had ordered this book before i went and it was waiting for me on my return. I read it from cover to cover that same evening and i was truly inspired. I resolved to practise what Fred preaches and guess what - he's right. Forget the theory, get into the game. Although my handicap has not yet tumbled i feel it will at any moment - and even if it doesn't the fun is what matters. And the best part - more fun = lower scores! Read this book with an open mind and it could change your game and your life.
on 10 June 2007
What a fantastic book. The first time I read it I was so intrigued by the club throwing exercise that I missed most of the other messages that Fred was writing about.

Having now read the book several times, it is now all the other stuff he talks about that intrigues me. Thanks to Gallwey and Murphy, I had already started to play the game with more joy, but Fred has helped bring me to a new level.

I am also a golf coach and, like Fred, have been searching for a better way to coach my students.

It's a pity I didn't come accross this book sooner as I would have coached myself and others much better and we could all have played in a more peacefull state.

Thanks Fred.

Buy it, read it, try it.

It is just fantastic, natural, and extraordinary.
on 8 July 1999
I was so impressed with this book that I searched out and attended Fred's School for Extraordinary Golf. I was amazed to see the wide range of golfers there (a beginer, high and low handicappers, several in their 60's+) all accept and dramatically benefit from the instruction provided (all of which was based on what's in the book).
As for me, Fred's approach to golf and wise instruction methods have transformed the game of golf. Not only am I shooting the best golf in my life, I'm having the most fun -- and the more fun actually happened before the better scores did! I'm also learning about myself, about golf and about my life at a much faster rate.
Perhaps you can guess that I recommend Extraordinary Golf highly. It's changed my life by giving me continuous, ongoing access to the game of golf that I had always wanted, hoped for, and glimpsed -- but was somehow never able to fully embrace. Thank you Fred, and those who work with you, for providing a future of golf that is full of possibilities.
on 16 December 1997
How many golf lessons have you taken where the (well intended) pro has filled your head with adjustments to your hands, feet, head, arms, back, chin, ball, brain, fingers and or grip? And, like a responsible adult, you respond to their instructions, strike the ball well while you're there only to revert back to your old ways a couple of days later? THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU! Fred Shoemaker is the first golf instructor I've ever read that has the courage to NOT try to tell you everything you need to do to change your swing. Instead, he gives you a simple, easy to understand APPROACH to the game of golf that enables you to really understand what's right and what's wrong. As a result of reading Fred's book, I now know my swing well enough to KNOW what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong -- so I can make my own correction. Whether your an "8" or "28" you should read this book now!
on 16 July 1999
This book has really helped me enjoy golf more AND at the same time improve my game and score. I don't want to say it's light hearted but it's not as "deep" as "The Inner Game of Golf". It teachs you that the way we look at the game of golf is counter productive. We are always striving to be just a little better and by doing that we are never happy. Once you become comfortable and start playing for fun you not only enjoy the game more BUT your scores go down.
For me that has happened.
It also debunks the swing thought theory. During the swing is not the time to load your head up with thoughts.
on 10 January 2008
This book is quite superb. It forces you to look at why you play golf - readers will be surprised!!. It asks you to look at the way we learn all other physical motor skills, and compares it to how we 'typically' learn to play golf - you wont be surprised, but you will certainly be enlightened. If you are in the UK, and you read this book, you may want to look into the teaching of Kendal McWades insttinctive golf.

Well done Fred, you have produced a masterpiece.
on 16 December 1997
on 22 April 2012
I have read a lot golf books,from coaching the technicalities to mind coaching by famous authors.This is the best book I have read about the game we love.It is very unconventional book and doesnt delve into the swing until about page 50 and the book is all the better for it.

This book has so many startling revelations about the game and how it should be played you should re-read it at least twice to make sure you fully pick up the essence of what he is saying.I now find the game a lot easier, score lower and have a lot more fun out on the course,my playing buddies have asked me what has changed my game so much and I always refer them to this book.

If you are trying to recapture the joy of playing, overcome a flaw in your game or just want a good read buy this book.
on 10 May 1999
I was originally given this book by a friend and told to approach it with a completely open mind. This book will help you explore your true inner self and how it relates to golf. I now have the ability to forget all my 32 years of golf mumbo-jumbo and "correct-swing" theories, and focus on experiencing and truly enjoying golf. I recently had the opportunity to take an all day seminar / golf experience from Fred and it changed my whole life and thoughts about the game. I am now re-reading the book again!!! Don't let this one pass you by...get the book and forget all the technical theories...the game and swing are in you, Fred simply helps you bring it out.
on 24 November 2013
This book was written about me! Always searching for that secret, tips, videos, all of which sought to frustrate me even more when nothing worked. I found these books via my coach at Positive Impact Golf. Thank you Brian. The books were superb and the new video a revelation. The club throwing exercise transformed my ball striking. I was so taken with Fred's work I have just returned from South Carolina to the UK after a golf programme with Extraordinary Golf. It was the most amazing golf experience of my golfing life. It has transformed the way in which I look at golf. No more concern with performance or handicaps just more enjoyment and fun. Buy these books and the video, you will not regret it, unless you are an individual that is not prepared to explore new possibilities in golf.