5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I read this book just after finishing The Silence Of The Lambs. I didn't get what I was expecting, I got something better. I was hoping for a bit more of Hannibal Lecter in this book. He is only in it every now and again. The story does not revolve around him, this is not a bad thing because the story is utter genius. The plot involves an FBI agent who is asked to help...
Published on 5 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay....
I absolutely loved reading silence of the lambs, so thinking i would have a quick break from AGOT I went to Red Dragon.

The first thing that struck me was the difference in order. It would appear that instead of the order i thought, the books actually go Red dragon, silence and then hannibal. This wasn't a major issue as i have seen all of the films but...
Published 2 months ago by Miss Jennifer L. Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Dragon, 29 Jun 2011
I don't normally read this sort of book, crime, it was recommended to me so I bought it and started reading, I was hooked after ten minutes!! Excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tooth Fairy...What could be more innapropriate?, 2 Oct 2005
I first got into Hannibal Lecter when I watched Brett Ratner's/Ted Tally's adaptation of "Red Dragon". I was also influenced by my dad who is a fan of the film "The Silence of the Lambs". Since I saw "Red Dragon" I myself have become an "Avid Fan". I found this book extremely interesting and I found that a lot of people (Even some of my teachers) had read "Red Dragon" a long time ago. I have not yet read "The Silence of the Lambs" but I will be along with "Hannibal". What I found great was that I got to read the subtexts to all of the lines in the film. I love this book and no doubt I will find the time to read it again someday.
Avid fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars suspense, 4 Aug 2004
By A Customer
I managed to read this book before the film was made, and although the film was an OK representation, i found the book more fixating. i'm not going to bore you, but i strongly recommend you read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars slow reading at first, hold on, 3 July 2000
By A Customer
i found it disappointing only because of its lack of information re hannibal lector, and how he came to be incarcerated. captions were misleading, hannibal already exists, whats the story about that?

5.0 out of 5 stars OH MY GOD WHAT A BOOK!, 4 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Silence Of The Lambs was always what I heard from my friends so i decided to give it a go but starting with Red Dragon. From the start of this book you DEFINATELY won't need caffeine pills to stay awake the book grips you around the kneck and keeps you there right until the end of the book where you are left wanting more! The characters are realistic it is just a shame Hannibal Lecter's character wasn't developed more. I finished the book with a feeling of of my god I have to start The Silence Of The Lambs NOW! Even though it was 1:00 in morning. But all I can say it was deeply left in the shadow of Red Dragon HUGELY.To pick one book of Thomas Harris's has to be Red Dragon. People are sometimes turned off by the film (of a different name Manhunter) BUT DON'T BE TURNED OFF READ IT.

3.0 out of 5 stars they don't talk about hannibal lecter in this book, 3 Mar 2002
By A Customer
verry good book with a nice intrigue but if you are like me and you are a hannibal fan you will be very disapointed to see that he is not the principal character !!!!!!
For more than 200 pages they don't even talk about him !!!!!!!!!!!
Nevertheless Thomas Harris has produced a very good book filled with entrigue about the famous RED DRAGON and the detective that tries to catch him ....

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...not convinced..., 3 April 2002
Having seen the film "silence of the lambs", I decided the book was a must read. Start at the beginning - I thought to myself, so I read this. I admit that in places it was moderately gripping and certain scenes held my attention but in the most part it was difficult to keep myself reading it. I found it fairly slow and far from terrifying. Maybe I was having a bad day when I read it, but it just wasn't up to my expectations.

Red Dragon
Red Dragon by Thomas Harris (Hardcover - Oct 1981)
Used & New from: 0.27