5.0 out of 5 stars My 4-yr old loves this book.
My 4 year old loves this book. The story is simple but compelling, and the black and white photographs offer a nice change of pace to most of her other books, as well as exposing her to a different medium.
Published on 7 Dec 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars The anti-Toy Story
The Lonely Doll is one of the creepiest books I've ever read. That it's supposed to be a kid's book only makes it creepier.

Published 10 months ago by Sam Quixote

1.0 out of 5 stars The anti-Toy Story, 30 Aug 2013
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lonely Doll (Hardcover)

It's a 1950s book made up of black and white photos - that's right, no colour for you damn kids! - starring a disturbed, sad doll as two terrifying teddy bears, the youngest of whom is blank faced making him even more scary, and an adult bear, who has what can only be described as a crazy expression, move into the doll's house so she's no longer alone.

The phrase "Just wait and see what fun we'll have!" uttered by the bears is one of the most haunting lines I've ever read.

When the doll and the little bear behave like all kids (I assume the doll herself is supposed to be a kid - the alternative is that she's mentally handicapped. But then why is she allowed to live alone?), they are beaten by the adult bear. It's at this point that I began formulating my own plot about this book: the doll wants company and out of desperation (and probably a potent combo of liquor and prescription drugs) makes a bad decision and takes in a couple of transients who proceed to take over her house and hold her hostage.

Later when the adult bear leaves, the doll and the little bear attempt to escape the house which they've now become prisoners in. They fail and wind up trying to have as much fun as they can before the crazy adult bear returns. The photo of when they're playing dress-up and the adult bear is in the background standing in the doorway with that expression on his face - that is straight up, 100% legit, horror. The adult bear then proceeds to beat them. Then later, in a case of Stockholm syndrome and/or cultish devotion, they believe they've done wrong and apologise to the adult bear for their non-transgressions!

The fact that this book is presented with dead toys in chilling black and white photos with a chintzy dress pattern on the background cover, makes it even more disturbing to read. And if you look into the author Dare Wright's sad life where she had a domineering and insane mother and an allegedly incestuous relationship with her brother, the only man she could be close to, it just adds that extra layer of terror to the book.

This is a kid's book that I wouldn't ever think in a million years to give to a kid - it's like reading a book a mental patient in Bellevue wrote which somehow got published and became a serial killer's bible. The photos, the story, it's all just nightmare fuel. This is the anti-Toy Story.

Just wait and see what fun we'll have...

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4-yr old loves this book., 7 Dec 1998
This review is from: The Lonely Doll (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars After 30 years, this is one book that still makes me smile!, 28 Oct 1998
This review is from: The Lonely Doll (Hardcover)
When our first granddaughter was born 4 years ago, I started to look for a copy of The Lonely Doll for her, just as I had read it to her mother. I have searched old bookstores and tried to find a copy, and am just delighted that it has been republished. It is a thoughtful, quiet, lovely book and I enjoyed reading it to them as much as the little ones enjoyed hearing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, 28 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I have been looking for this book ever since my twin girls( who are now 8) were born! I recently found the doll on the shopping channel QVC . I remember hiding this book at the Hoover School library in Livonia MI so I could have it all to myself. Thank you for finding it and e-mailing me about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was hard to find for other "library-goers"., 5 Sep 1998
This review is from: The Lonely Doll (Hardcover)
This book was hard to find for other "library-goers" when I was growing up. Why? Because my sister and I had it checked out most of the time! This book is truly wonderful... a simple story about a lonely doll and some teddy bears with wonderful photographs! I am so happy that I can now buy my very own copy of my favorite childhood book! If you have never read this one, please do so! It is a return to a more simple time and it will stay with you long after you have finished the last page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little girl finds a home in a book..., 29 Aug 1998
This review is from: The Lonely Doll (Hardcover)
I can remember toddling around my library as a very little girl and finding "The Lonely Doll" at the bottom of the stacks, with it's beautiful pink and white gingham cover. Of course pink was my favourite colour and I loved dolls so I had to learn how to read it. Even though I can't remember accurately, I think this is one of the very first books I read myself. It's such a beautiful book and the pictures... I would kill to own an Edith!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book!, 28 July 1998
This review is from: The Lonely Doll (Hardcover)
i read this book as a young girl in elementary school. i loved it; it was imaginative and it made the reader feel as though they were right there with Edith and the two bears. i know it made me feel that way when i read it. years later in my early 20's, i bought this book as a gift for my kid sister who hadn't started school yet. now in my 40's i want to get this book to give to my 14 year old daughter. i think this book spans all ages and is certainly a keepsake.

1.0 out of 5 stars This may have been ok in the 50's., 31 Jan 2007
Ms. N. Pirkis (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because of the cover and the rave reviews, thought I had discovered a lost classic, instead I recieved a book that I would never under any circumstances read to my child, it should remain lost. This book should come with a warning. Contains scenes of a violent nature. Spanking may have been acceptable in the 1950's, but should we really be reading our children books with such nasty attitudes in them now? The message of this book is if you misbehave (eg. dressing up and playing with lipstick) you will spanked and the people you love may leave you. The pictures are charming but the content is sinister. Really, do your children/grandchildren a favour and buy them Charlie and Lola instead, far more imaginative and a lot healthier.

The Lonely Doll
The Lonely Doll by Dare Wright (Hardcover - 28 Sep 1998)
9.95