Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 1998
this book is not only for children... it brings out the imagination in all. the single greatest book i have ever picked up is "tuesday" simply because without text it leaves the reader to make up the story as they turn the pages. instead of reading words and generating pictures in the mind the reader can generate a whole story around the pictures.
Tuesday is the most imaginative picture book that I have ever seen. It is a wordless fantasy of people, animals, and plants that allows you to supply your own story. As such, it will provide endless opportunities for you and your child to entertain one another. What really is going on? What does it mean? What will happen next Tuesday?
The book is illustrated very much like a graphic novel (a series of comic books bound together in softcover form, if you haven't seen one) but without words. The book does have a few indicators of time and day of the week, that provide the minimal connection to reality needed to launch the story into space.
The images here are very whimsical. Frogs fly on lily pads in formation like the Blue Angels, and create lots of unexpected fun. The book is most interesting when you see what happens on the second Tuesday. How about the third? You'll have to use your imagination for that one.
This book deserves its Caldecott Medal for outstanding illustrations. In no other book that I can think of do the illustrations carry the story. The book uses vibrant colors, done in a low-key way. Stylistically, it is a take-off on the science fiction and super hero genres in pictures.
You will be laughing out loud when you see what the frogs are up to. You will also enjoy the visual puns on textless pages.
Where else can pictures tell the story? Have you ever engaged in pantomimes, shadow puppets, or charades with your child? If you haven't, this would be a good time to introduce those enjoyable games.
Imagination can take you anywhere you want!
on 16 May 2011
I have been reading Tuesday with my Year 4 class who have written reviews of the book. Here are some of the things they had to say.

Every time you turn the page, your eyes are fixed to the page. Kellie
What I like is that the pictures are very exciting and when I read it, it takes me to a different world. Blain
It is a magical story about flying frogs who have a big secret and I would recommend this book 10 out of 10. Katie
This is a page-turning wonder, a magical journey through a Tuesday night when frogs fly and get up to mischief. Alex
At first I thought, oh, but then I thought it was amazing. Alezah
When I read this amazing book it really brings out my imagination. Brandon
It was really funny and when I had finished it I wanted more. Sian
When I got half way through I wanted to read more and more. You just want to carry on - it's dazzling. Madi
As soon as I opened the book I was engaged with laughter and exitement. It's an eye-popping book. Kobi
This book is good because every time you look at the book you see different things. Bradley
Page by page my eyes were fixed to the book. I would recommend this book to everyone. Hannah
It was magical - I couldn't take my eyes off the book. The ending is really cool but I don't want to give it away. Sydney
on 15 April 2009
What a surprise this book was!
To follow Hamilton Trust year 5 planning for a formal police report you need it and so I ordered it. It is now my favourite children's book ever! After two weeks they produced fantastic writing as it really caught all of our imaginations. Every time we looked we spotted something else that delighted us.The joy is in the detail.
on 3 January 2002
I bought this book long before I had kids, because I loved the illustrations that seemed to jump off the page.
The story is cute and imaginative and always makes me smile inside and out. Now that I have kids it has become one of their favorite "comfort books" for rainy days.
on 5 July 2001
One Tuesday evening by the light of the rising moon, a turtle on a log watches the sky because the frog are going to fly!
See the fish gaping out from the water, the lilies in the swamp & the big fat frogs on their magic lily pads as the moon lightens the nighttime world.
Behold the birds of the air fly squawking away as the frogs dive & swoop; behold the sleeping homes of humans way down below; see the lone midnight snacker in his kitchen not daring to look out his window.
See, see - do you see dawn's early light & the frogs hurrying home, dropping their magic carpets on the highway where policemen, police dogs & detectives will ponder on a strange litter of lily pads. Do you know who's going to fly next Tuesday?
I love a David Wiesner book - his pictures are filled with dramatic perspectives & improbabe, hilariously exciting, speculations! If you have not seen Tuesday I urge you to go find it.
on 25 August 2010
Many great things can be communicated without words and this book is an utter proof. Lotus and frogs have been spiritual symbols in Eastern culture and Haiku tradition(Basho: At the ancient pond/A frog jumps into/ The sound of water) and they have taken central stage in this magical and good-humored book. I was excited to share this book with my children and it turned out they alredy read it and had much to say about this book. "We love TUESDAY! First the frogs are flying. Then the pigs start flying." My son quickly went to his favorite part where the dog chased one frog and ran away when he saw a whole army of frogs coming. He made special sound effects, laughed out loud with his sister and ended up doing his book report on it. TUESDAY is a book that will give inspirations to readers of all ages; a fantastic book that you can't miss!
on 18 November 2010
I bought this for my 5year old on the recommendation of a teacher-friend. I was a little wary at first as I wondered whether 'reading' a book with virtually no words in it would have limited appeal but I couldn't have been more wrong. The story really comes to life through yours and your child's interpretation of its illustrations. I am absolutely amazed at how much enjoyment this book has given my daughter based solely on her interpretation of the engaging illustrations of the adventures of the frogs on their 'magic flying lily pads.' It is such a delight to see her rock with laughter as she tells me the frogs have tied table cloths round their necks so they can pretend to be 'super heros' and that the frog with his hands out-stretched wearing a devilish grin on his face is about to push the birds off the telephone wires.

I am truly impressed. I think this is a wonderful book, absolutely fantastic for developing young imaginations, helping children to make interpretations about what they see and for developing a good eye for detail. I am now searching Amazon for similar books.
on 10 May 2012
This is a beautiful wordless book about some magic that happens one Tuesday night - the sleeping toads/frogs? start to float into the sky. The book explores the adventures they get up to that night, until finally the sun comes up and the magic stops. I used this in a Key stage 1 class but could easily be used in Early Years or Key stage 2. My class LOVED it, really useful for all sorts of literacy activities but great just to share too.
on 9 October 2011
I created a whole series of lesson plans based around this book for my primary school children to help raise literacy (there are very words in the book, any words you find are rather irrellevent and the book continues fine without them).

The subject matter is completely absurd and amazing, yet it will enable children to develop non-fiction and fiction writing, story development, adjectives, connectives, inner-thought and so much more. The book is technically a graphic novel and not a picture book as it first appears (illustrations are layed out in panels for example) which means you are introducing children to a new type of literature. They can find out about other graphic novels and perhaps make one for themselves as a project in art.

If any teachers out there are looking for a new stimulus then this is it! You will not be disapointed (esspecially if you are a secret sci-fi geek!).