Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 February 2001
This much-loved American Children's Classic, written in an era where the phrase "politically correct" was unheard of, tells the simple, exquisite story of a tree, a boy, a special place & the coming of the seasons & centuries.
In the beginning of the cottonwood's life, a Kansas Indian boy builds a barricade to protect it from the thirsty herds of buffalo seeking relief in the nearby pond at the edges of the American Great Plains. Generations of tribes of the First People gather at this high place & revere this lonesome tree.
Then explorers from across the world pass by with anger in their hearts & the pathway they find becomes the Sante Fe Trail. In time trappers & settlers pass on by leaving their marks, telling their stories.
This is the way I love to learn history: the ebb & flow of rich memories, evocative paintings & curious sketches depicting the passage of time & the tools of people on the move. Do check out my full review & a host of other reviews of children's books.
on 30 December 1997
I am 58 years old, as a small boy my mother gave me this book (original edition). It was my favorite book of the hundreds available to me (very literate family). Would love to get two of the original editions for my grandsons.. Hate to give up my copy which I still have after 50 yrs....Proabably 5/6 yrs old interests different today than in the mid-1940's but I would still recommend this book as a great imagination stimulas for a small boy.
on 28 October 2007
The story is well set out by a previous reviewer. I bought this for my 4yo daughter and sat up late reading it myself, absolutely captivated by the history unfolding; the pictures (which have a real epic quality) and just Holling's sheer mastery and clear love of his subject.

What a great book. Any primary age child with a love of classic stories will be fascinated.
on 1 July 2015
this is a wonderful book, which captures the history of the West through the narrative of the tree.
on 14 July 2014
Excellent book, highly recommended.