5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book so much I learnt it by heart
This is undoubtedly an underestimated classic. Every child I know who's read this book can end quotes. 'The gentlemen cheered, the ladies squealed, and farmer Smith said 'use my field''. Absolutely magnificent.
Published on 14 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but terrible print
Fantastic story and illustrations. A favourite from my own childhood.
Brought this recently for my daughter and was very disappointed with the print quality. Blackened, dull colours on cheap paper.
Published on 23 Aug 2010 by jh

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book so much I learnt it by heart, 14 Aug 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars The Giant Jam Sandwich, 30 Jun 2003
Lynda Osborne (Darlington, Durham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Giant Jam Sandwich (Hardcover)
This is my favourite young childrens book of all time. My two sons are now 16 and 19 and if I ask them to name the book they remember me reading to them when they were young, it is this one.
It is well thought out and well written. As the story rhymes all the way through it is great to read and great for young ones to listen to.
Basically a village is swarmed with wasps and the villagers decide to catch them by making a giant jam sandwich. It makes young imaginations run wild.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, 15 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This story appeals to all children with it's fantastical giant bread baking, flying machines and the attempt to stop the wasps. The rhyme propels the tale onwards and makes it even more memorable. In our household the only other book which we can all recite better is the classic 'Each Peach Pear Plum'! It was one of my top childhood favourites (alongside 'The Tiger that came to Tea'), and one of the few which i think my Mum equally enjoyed reading. I hope that this new edition brings it to many more children's bookshelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best children's book I've ever read!, 9 July 2000
By A Customer
I used to read this to my younger brother and sister - and once was never enough for them! It's a wonderful story - with great rhyme - and really funny. Of all the books we all had, it's the one we always remember now we're adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute book...unique story line, 17 Aug 2012
I ordered this book as part of our children's school curriculum (we homeschool), and it is really well done. All of our children liked it (ranging in age from 6 yrs old, down to the toddlers). The story line is unique, the story's background is really neat, which is that author used to put jam on a crust of bread and place the bread far away from their picnics, so the wasps would congregate at his crust instead of his picnic...one day a friend was with him and a wasp was chasing him around his head. It scared his friend, and no matter how far away his friend ran, the wasp chased him. To help allay his fears, the author told him a story about a giant jam sandwich...the pictures are really cute and pretty detailed. My kids enjoyed looking at the different parts of each picture and what was happening at each part. The story is unique, and all in all well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood classic, 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Giant Jam Sandwich (Paperback)
I remember this book from when I was little and ordered it for my daughter (2yrs old) (despite my parents still having my old copy!) We love to read this story and my daughter loves to count the wasps and look at the details in the illustrations. While this book has a bit of an odd look, some might say dated, they are so detailed and really bring the story to life. The text is complete genius, lovely rhyming, and where else is your little one going to learn "pate" (as in part of a head). My daughter says the words along with me now, and "tells" the story to her toys. I hope my daughter can enjoy this story with her children!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 17 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This book is great, I first read this book when I was 9 and 20 years later I can still recite the majority of it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but terrible print, 23 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Giant Jam Sandwich (Paperback)
Fantastic story and illustrations. A favourite from my own childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but memorable, 19 May 2008
Humpty Dumpty (Wall St, Upton Snodsbury) - See all my reviews
A simple but memorable tale in rhyming couplets whose text and ills go perfectly together. The visual aspect has elements of Gulliver's Travels and Heath Robinson in it.

Inventive and funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Children's Classic, 27 Aug 2007
Mrs. L. Martin (UK) - See all my reviews
I was first read this book as a child and I think it must have been when it was first published in the early 70's. An absolute favourite, I can recite the whole story by heart. I still have my original copy although it is looking a little worse for wear but very much loved. I am now passing on my enthusiasm to my own children who are 6 and 8 and a new copy was purchased when they were born. They also are nearly word perfect and I hope will be reciting it to the third generation in the future. A must for all!

The Giant Jam Sandwich
The Giant Jam Sandwich by Janet Burroway (Hardcover - 13 Jun 1975)
Used & New from: £0.01