on 17 August 2012
I ordered this book as part of our children's school curriculum (we homeschool), and it is really well done. All of our children liked it (ranging in age from 6 yrs old, down to the toddlers). The story line is unique, the story's background is really neat, which is that author used to put jam on a crust of bread and place the bread far away from their picnics, so the wasps would congregate at his crust instead of his picnic...one day a friend was with him and a wasp was chasing him around his head. It scared his friend, and no matter how far away his friend ran, the wasp chased him. To help allay his fears, the author told him a story about a giant jam sandwich...the pictures are really cute and pretty detailed. My kids enjoyed looking at the different parts of each picture and what was happening at each part. The story is unique, and all in all well done.
on 14 August 2000
This is undoubtedly an underestimated classic. Every child I know who's read this book can end quotes. 'The gentlemen cheered, the ladies squealed, and farmer Smith said 'use my field''. Absolutely magnificent.
on 30 June 2003
This is my favourite young childrens book of all time. My two sons are now 16 and 19 and if I ask them to name the book they remember me reading to them when they were young, it is this one.
It is well thought out and well written. As the story rhymes all the way through it is great to read and great for young ones to listen to.
Basically a village is swarmed with wasps and the villagers decide to catch them by making a giant jam sandwich. It makes young imaginations run wild.
on 30 June 2012
I remember this book from when I was little and ordered it for my daughter (2yrs old) (despite my parents still having my old copy!) We love to read this story and my daughter loves to count the wasps and look at the details in the illustrations. While this book has a bit of an odd look, some might say dated, they are so detailed and really bring the story to life. The text is complete genius, lovely rhyming, and where else is your little one going to learn "pate" (as in part of a head). My daughter says the words along with me now, and "tells" the story to her toys. I hope my daughter can enjoy this story with her children!
on 15 September 2001
This story appeals to all children with it's fantastical giant bread baking, flying machines and the attempt to stop the wasps. The rhyme propels the tale onwards and makes it even more memorable. In our household the only other book which we can all recite better is the classic 'Each Peach Pear Plum'! It was one of my top childhood favourites (alongside 'The Tiger that came to Tea'), and one of the few which i think my Mum equally enjoyed reading. I hope that this new edition brings it to many more children's bookshelves.
on 9 July 2000
I used to read this to my younger brother and sister - and once was never enough for them! It's a wonderful story - with great rhyme - and really funny. Of all the books we all had, it's the one we always remember now we're adults.
on 17 November 2001
This book is great, I first read this book when I was 9 and 20 years later I can still recite the majority of it!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 March 2014
I was obviously deprived in childhood, having never has this read to me, but am glad to have discovered it to share with my own son.

The story is fantastic - a huge swarm of wasps descend on a town and proceed to eat everything in sight. The solution? Build a giant jam sandwich to trap the blighters! Brilliance.

Great rhyming story that's easy to read (and that my son can join in with), great pictures and lots to look at. Nice to see the bread being made, the sandwich flying in the air, the spreading of the jam. Reminded me a little of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

A classic for a reason. And a very funny ending.
on 23 August 2010
Fantastic story and illustrations. A favourite from my own childhood.
Brought this recently for my daughter and was very disappointed with the print quality. Blackened, dull colours on cheap paper.
VINE VOICEon 1 January 2013
My Mother read this to me so often as a child that, even though she is now in her sixties, she can still recite it word for word! It was a childhood favourite of mine (I still have my 1970s copy) and we have just bought a copy for my children.

Basically, the town of Itching Down is invaded by a swarm of wasps. The villagers work together to back a giant jam sandwich in which to trap the wasps and see them off for good!

The format is now larger, it's more like A4 size, but the illustrations still look vibrant and are incredibly detailed. The rhyme is catchy without being too simplistic. I short, it's wonderful and is still giving me many happy hours!!