4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read him earlier
This was my first introduction to JB. I raced through the entire book in about 2 days and have re-read my favourites many times over since then.

Maybe it's because his views coincide with my own in so many ways, maybe the language he uses, maybe I'm just nostalgic for the rose-tinted past, but something in his writing is absolutely captivating.

I...
Published on 15 Nov 2006 by Robin Johnston

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value
This collection covers so many topics. The writing is sensitive, funny, moving, memorable and wonderfully readable. I am delighted with it.
Published 12 months ago by Christine Sexton

5.0 out of 5 stars JB fan, 10 Jun 2013
Allways happy to read again and again. There is so much intensity and reality in his work that shows a very individual tallent

5.0 out of 5 stars Betjeman Poems, 3 Jun 2013
Another fit of nostalgia! Haven't read Betjeman since school (50 years ago) so it was a pleasant poetic trip down memory lane to reread many and to read others for the first time. It now has joined my other cherished books on my bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 21 May 2013
I have not ready many of Betjemans poems so I wasn't sure how this book would go for me. I was not disappointed. A walk through an earlier age! I will be moving to warmer climes soon and this book will be the perfect companion for me whenever I need a bit of nostalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reading, 19 May 2013
Great to have Betjeman's poems on my kindle. Had not read his poems for years (since school days). Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Betjeman Collected Poems, 8 May 2013
I gave this book to my mother and she's enjoying it tremendously. We read a few poems together when I lasta spent time with her and found it enchanting...

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile Collection!, 4 Mar 2013
A. Northcote "Al Northcote" (Durham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This is an ideal collection for the poetry fan, the Betjeman fan, or for anyone who wants a comprehensive introduction to John Betjeman. Well arranged, excellent coverage of his work, and the poems simply speak for themselves!
Can certainly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good selection, 13 Feb 2013
zenstitcher (Northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I haven't finished reading this yet, but from the index it would appear to have a very good overall selection of poems from the late, great John Betjeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Bet That Betjeman's The Best!, 17 Nov 2012
D. H. Rose "Rosey" (NW England) - See all my reviews
Bought the Kindle version of this book and I couldn't put it down! I find his style to be in my taste of what poetry should be, nothing too deep and self/soul searching! Something that is easy AND amusing to read!
I'm not going to pick a favourite poem as we all have our own tastes!
Well worth the money, a real page turner or, in my case, "a real Kindle Clicker!"

5.0 out of 5 stars John Betjeman collected poems, 8 Nov 2012
All that I expected and more, this book gives a comprehensive insight into the works of Betjeman as well as a resume of his life, memories of a long gone era when things were definitely slower, the summers full of sunshine, people with character and most of all the architecture. His memory lasts on with his amazing bid to save Victorian gothic architecture, particularly St Pancras Railway Station, a place to visit in it's own right, no destination required, with the immortal statue of a man that saw so much of quintessential England and it's people that we miss nowadays in our busy lives, a must read for young and old, nostalgia and history. *****

5.0 out of 5 stars America needs a Betjeman, 11 Jan 2002
Stephen Constantelos "sbconstant" (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collected Poems (Paperback)
A preservationist in (usually) the best sense--in architecture, poetry forms, landscapes, humour, the heart--Sir John Betjeman inspired a large following in the UK and maybe 2-3 in the USA. More 'verse' than 'poetry' as he characteristically self-effacingly called the contents of this volume, his work still holds a lot of charm and power. 'Middlesex' perhaps encapsualtes him best...

Collected poems
Collected poems by John Betjeman (Hardcover - 1971)
Used & New from: £7.19