on 6 September 2006
Mrs Armitage on Wheels is not only a lovingly crafted book, resplendent with Blake's unique and distinctive illustrations but it also has a message that's lodged so far in my head that my family quotes it whenever it's relevant:

"What this bicycle really needs..."

Not only is it a perfectly enchanting read for a child, the lesson it teaches is one I find myself remembering when working as a game designer in my professional life! How many books that you read when you're 6 can you say apply to your adult life?

A classic. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2007
Quentin Blake - perhaps best known for his work with Roald Dahl - has created a memorable and endearingly eccentric character in the shape of Mrs. Arimtage, a keen cyclist who is constantly upgrading her bike. A tool-kit here, a food-tray there, until, one day... well, I won't spoil it for you by revealing the ending!

This is a great book for Key Stage 1 children; that said, it was used as the shared text in a Year 4 literacy lesson I taught recently and the children all loved it. Many - like the previous reviewer's children - have taken to using Mrs. Armitage's patented phrase wherever appropriate. Finally, you've simply got to love a book that features a dog called 'Breakspear'. Brilliant.

Matt Pucci
on 6 July 2009
This is a hilarious book because of all the silly things Mrs Armitage does. It was very adventurous. Breakspear the dog was a lively pet. Emily Year 3
on 11 March 2005
Mrs Armitage is a rather lively lady of indeterminate age. She cycles around with her dog, but keeps dreaming up improvements for her chosen mode of travel. Eventually she goes too far...
There's lots of repetition, funny pictures and my daughter (aged 5) loved it. Her particular favourite was doing the noise of the loudest of three horns "Pah-hee-hah-hurgh!"
on 14 January 2015
Written by class 3/4B
We loved reading this book because it has lots of funny pictures. We thought Mrs Armitage was hilarious and inventive with the wonderful ways she transformed her bike. "What this bike really needs" was a really great saying that we will remember! We came up with some ideas how Mrs Armitage could transform her roller skates: adding rocket boosters, making doggy roller skates attached to hers, ipod dock and so much more.
Thank you to Quentin Blake - we loved it!!
on 19 June 2009
Mrs Armitage has silly ideas coming out of that head. First She makes a frilling invention.
This marvellous book tells you the story of Mrs Armitage on Wheels. It was so incredible I couldnt put this book down!This has to be one of Quentin Blakes best books. I give it a5 out of 5. Chloe M
on 6 July 2008
By Branden:
Mrs amitage keeps adding things on to her
Bike so she can cycle a round the earth.
Every time she adds things on to her bike it
Gets heavy. Once she has added every thing on
She might crash.
My review. I think it is interesting. I cannot put it down because it is fantastic. There is a lot of writing so it makes it a lot more fun. I give this book 10 out of 10.

By Drew:
Mrs armitge had a fantastic bike.
She keeps putting thing on her magnifsnt bike because she thinks putting thing on her bike will help her.

I think it is fantastic I cant tell you
The story because it has super pictures.

I give the book 8 out of 10.
on 30 April 2010
This book tells the story of an inventive woman called Mrs Armitage who modifies her bike by adding a variety of accessories with hilarious results. In our opinion, this beautifully illustrated book is suitable for children between the ages of 3 and 8. A book children will enjoy reading again and again!

Reviewed by Pharaohs (Year 3 St Mary's C Of E Primary School, Cadishead, Manchester) as part of our literacy topic on 'Authors & Letters'.
on 13 July 2012
Mrs Armitage is out for a ride on her bike, her dog Breakspear by her side. As she goes along, she keeps thinking of things that would improve the bike, and so she stops to make adjustments. At first, the bell is replaced by three horns, then hand-washing facilities and a toolkit are added, followed by a tray for snacks, a seat for Breakspear and a couple of umbrellas to keep the rain off. And that's just the start!

Quentin Blake has created a great character, and his wonderful illustrations really bring her to life. Unlike 'Mr Magnolia' and many of his other popular children's books, this tale isn't written rhyme, but it does contain the repeated refrain "What this bike really needs ..." which young children will echo with glee.

The story is a little more wordy than 'Mr Magnolia' - about 30-40 words per double page, but I'm about to try it out on my two-and-a-quarter-year-old to see how she likes it. If her Dad's reaction is anything to go by, it should be a hit!

This review refers to the paperback edition of 'Mrs Armitage on Wheels' published by Red Fox in 1999.
on 19 June 2009
Mrs Armitage is off on her bike with her trusty dog Breakespear. She puts way to much stuff on her bike. What will happen.......?

This has got to be the best by Quentin Blake.I couldn't put this book down.Mrs Armitage makes me smile. The book is beautifully illustrated. I thought it was outstanding, teriffic and brillant. I love it. I give it 5 out of 5 Rebecca