5.0 out of 5 stars Great history book for beginner readers

2.0 out of 5 stars Americanised
Published on 12 Sep 2009 by Lynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Great history book for beginner readers, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading) (Paperback)
This book is about the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, and what happened to the people of Pompeii. It also covers the modern day excavations of the town and what is there now. It is designed for beginning readers to read alone (or aloud to an adult). My children (one boy, one girl) have both enjoyed this from about age 6, although you could read it to children much younger than this. It has a good size print, a maximum of 14 lines of text per double page spread, and lots of pictures. Where there are words that would be outside of a young child's vocabulary, it explains how to say them in broken down syllables, with the accented syllable in capitals. So the first paragraph reads: "Once there was a town named Pompeii. Say: pom-PAY. Near the town there was a mountain named Vesuvius. Say: Veh-SOO-vee-us." The only other instances of this that I can find in the book are Pliny (PLIN-ee), and mosaics (mo-ZAY-iks). I think this is helpful for children who are reading alone. (It meant my children talked about "Pom pay" rather than "Pom pee I"). It can be easily edited out if you are reading aloud. Overall a great book, we have read many others in this series and they are good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids loved the book, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading) (Paperback)
I am going to visit Pompeii soon and so ordered this book to give some idea to kids. My 3 year old son and 7 year old daughter both loved it. They are eager to visit the place now to see the monster that is sleeping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tells the Story as if you Were There, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading) (Paperback)
The last "classic" I'm reviewing in this series, was written the same year as Titanic ... Lost and Found. These easy readers often go out of print very quickly and it says much when one can keep in print for well over twenty years. Pompeii tells the story of the fateful day that Mount Vesuvius erupted from the perspective of what it must have been like to have seen what was happening had you been there. A detailed, gripping story that captures the imagination and could possibly send the reader into further exploration of the topic. Even more intriguing is the jump ahead in time to when Pompeii has been buried and forgotten and Pliny's writings are being read then builders discover walls in the ground. Eventually more of buried Pompeii is unearthed and a full-scale archaeological dig is underway. The book explains this process until it reaches the historical, museum-like, tourist site, we have today. The book ends warning that Vesuvius could erupt again at any time. Due to the age of the book I checked the current information on this and found a very recent article, Sept. 2013, in which Japanese scientists presented to a volcano conference in Italy that Vesuvius "could erupt again at any time" and the Italian government must have a suitable disaster plan drawn up. So the books information is still very current up to today. The only problem I have with this easy reader is that the writing is not quite as good as the previous ones I've recommended as it does talk down to the reader in a way that could easily have been avoided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading) (Paperback)
Bought as an introduction to Pompeii before we went to Italy to visit it. This book was requested by my five year old at bedtime every night for three weeks. It's quite detailed and takes a full 30 minutes to read cover to cover, and the pictures are beautifully created and engaging. My two year old also listened in to each reading and seemed to get a lot out of it.

Definitely aimed at slightly older children, but my two still come back for this time and time again. Our copy is rather battered now, very very well thumbed!

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars delighted, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading) (Paperback)
purchased this as one of the required 'read a louds' in our home schooling curriculum 'World History'. Both my 9 year olds sat and read it from cover to cover. One has now headed off for the altas to plan a family holiday to Italy to visit Vesuveous, the other is searching to find out what else Pliny wrote.. this little book has fired their imaginations and been a delightful reading practice without resorting to the banality of readers being fed to their peers by local primary schools. Now off to look at other titles in the series. Thank you

2.0 out of 5 stars Americanised, 12 Sep 2009
Lynn "book mad" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading) (Paperback)
Not impressed with this book. Very patronising. Wasn't surprised when I saw that it was part of an American reading scheme. Really!!! Will not be reading it with my class, unless I edit it alot first. I often have special needs children in my class and wouldn't dream of using its phonic recommendations to repeat the key names. Big Bird got away with patronising young children because he was good. I could only get away with this book in the classroom if I dressed as Big Bird! NOT happening!

Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading)
Pompeii...Buried Alive (Step into Reading) by Edith Kunhardt (Paperback - 30 Sep 1987)
2.37