Format: PaperbackChange

on 25 June 1998
You will NOT read this book and come away a brilliant actor. Then again, no book can do that for you. You can only learn by doing, either in class or in a performance. With that in mind, this book is packed with incredible insights, some that are basic tips for the beginner, and others that will only be appreciated after years of performing and multiple readings. Sanford Meisner, one of the members of the famed Group Theatre in the 1920's, was one of American theatre's gems, and sitting in on a course of his, through this book, is the only way to capture some of that magic. A "must-have" for any serious actor's library.
on 27 August 2009
The man is a total legend. Read this and be inspired. Bought 8 hours of DVD of this guy too and it is THE most amazing thing to watch. Currently studying for an acting degree I found this book invaluable.
on 8 February 1999
Unlike Stanislavsky's "emotional recall," Meisner's approach is much more effective. Having been trained under Mr. Meisner's method, my confidence and emotional accessibility has increased 100%. In short, I've accepted his creed, "to live truthfully under the imaginary circumstances of the theater," as my own.
on 17 November 2011
This book is written from the perspective of someone who was sat in class whilst Sanford Meisner taught.

I previously was taught Meisner techniques last year and wanted the book to solidify and develop what I'd been taught - the book did exactly that and a little bit more. Meisner was amazing and the knowledge given in the book is really useful and so simple.

I'm not sure that if I hadn't studied Meisner previously I would have read the book differently, or not found it as useful but I'm a very practical person.

The only flaw with the book is the author, he seems to think details about students clothing are necessary when they really aren't and this can get a little bit annoying.

If you want simple honest acting knowledge get this book it's worth it.
on 10 August 2013
Definately the best guide to good acting. Meitner died but his method lives on. A must for drama students and any one interested in acting for Theatre or film.
on 26 May 2015
I have read a few acting books and expected this to follow the same kind of formula, I was wrong. This is simply a transcript of multiple Meisner acting lessons over the years. It doesn't teach you much if at all. Other acting books teach you techniques and have excerices for you to pratice, this does not. While it is interesting, it is not an acting book really.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2015
Got to recommend this book purely because I was stuck using the method of actioning training in the second year of uni. This has opened my eyes to what acting is about, being realistic and truthful. It gives an insight of what Meisner teaches and his method of how to prepare for any scene as an actor. Definitely using his method from now on!
on 3 September 2013
There's really nothing left to say about Meisner that has not already been said. I can see why he earned himself a name in drama. Here is the key thing I got from him - Acting is simplicity. Actors tend to over complicate things a lot. This is just an essential book for any aspiring actor! Buy it. It's practical as well.
on 9 June 2009
This book arrived promptly in the good condition I expected and is one that should be read by ALL those considering the acting profession. If you are struggling with the lack of funds for Drama School take heart and read this book.
on 23 January 2013
I think the best thing about this book is that you feel like you are being taught something, it keeps you right all the time. I got it for Christmas and I've already read it twice, get this before any other.