on 20 November 2008
I'm staggered at the affection for this book, it bored me to tears. If it was written by a Scotsman and not a Colombian, it would be dismissed for the florid drivel that it is.

Like wading through treacle.
on 6 March 2005
This is quite simply a beautiful book; beautifully written, amusing, loving, insightful - wonderful.
on 18 November 2007
It spans two entire lifetimes. It takes place between the end of the 19th Century and ends in the beginning of the 20th Century. Like all Marquez novels, this one is well written and a joy to read.

Marquez's use of fantasy realism is legendary and keeps the somewhat morose plot fun and moving. The main character stalks his lover in parks pretending to read on a bench as she passes by. His love becomes an obsession.

Marquez shows that love and the sadness it can bring is not for youth alone. It celebrates the powerful hold that true love can have on a man his entire life. This is a book that a man would enjoy as much as a woman. Also, if you missed reading Tino Georgiou's masterpiece--The Fates, go and read it. I'm loving this one.
on 3 May 2014
More than anything, I am astounded at the skill of the translator. If this lyrical, captivating book is not its original form, how glorious it must be in Spanish.
And quite simply, it's a book about nothing.
It is only the writing of GGM that kept me reading because, truly, this book has no real plot, no action, no crises, no climax, and therefore no need of resolution. Nevertheless, it is a beautifully conceived story, evoking every emotion from delight to disgust and one I will read again, probably right after I read One Hundred Years of Solitude.
on 18 February 2011
I've been reading a lot of "acclaimed" books recently and I have to say this has been one of my favourites. It is nicely written - the descriptions are original and thorough but not to the point of boredom, and the story is charming and kept me reading. It is not a particularly long book and not a "slog" at all, and I would recommend to anyone who has an interest in literature. I think it has aged well, and I would certainly pick up another of his books.
on 27 August 2001
One definition of an author is 'someone who spends 80,000 words telling a story for which a normal person would only need 80'. In this case, Marquez is certainly one of the greatest authors there is.
I wanted to like this book, but was unable to form any sort of relationship with any of the characters. Apart from maybe love-sick Florentino, who I wanted to punch repeatedly in the face. Allied to this there are long periods in the book when NOTHING WHATSOEVER HAPPENS. Perhaps this was the author's way of representing the stultifyingly boring nature of life in turn-of-the-century Columbia. Or maybe it's just that this is a stultifyingly boring book.
In addition to the boredom, the reader of this book has to contend with page after page of romantic macho posturing. This becomes particularly unpleasant in the section in which the author implies, apparently without any qualms, that a 14-year old girl being bedded by a 60-year old man is perfectly normal, and something that every healthy girl secretly wants.
I don't know about Mr. Marquez, but having struggled to the end of this book, I feel that it is I that deserve a Nobel prize.
on 4 March 2016
djjjkkiuulk
on 14 October 2014
Well worth the effort to read it. It is set in a specific time within a specific culture and the characters reveal themselves as the book progresses. The writing appears effortless although so well crafted that sometimes paragraphs and sentences are worth reading twice, for the pleasure of them.
on 25 June 2015
I've just bought this in the Penguin Classics translation by Edith Grossman and just looking at the first page my heart sinks at the florid, over-adjectival prose, the lengthy sentences and the stately plump rhythm. Is this just the translation or is it Marquez? One of the infuriating things about Amazon books is that they rarely give you any information about translations; yet a good translation is crucial to enjoying great literature (if this is great literature; I'm not hopeful at the moment.) Please, if anyone knows about these things, can you tell us whether this is the only translation, or whether there are other, better ones.
on 24 October 2014
A wonderful book. I loved it. The characters, the descriptions of the country Columbia, were all gripping. Set at the turn of the 20th century the atmosphere and happenings of those times were captured beautifully.