5.0 out of 5 stars The saddest book I've read
Published on 20 July 2007 by Pauline Butcher Bird

3.0 out of 5 stars unusual story telling
I had hoped to enjoy this book more than I did, but I was interrupted a lot which might have affected my enjoyment. Great characters and an interesting portrayal of lives determined by convention and family ties.
Published 3 months ago by G. Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars The saddest book I've read, 20 July 2007
This review is from: Searching For Caleb (Paperback)
I've just finished re-reading this book and once again, I think it's one of the saddest books I've ever read. Justine sacrifices everything for her husband including her parents, her extended family and even her daughter. Her grandfather dreams of finding Caleb but Anne Tyler makes him suffer. Caleb himself lives the most sorrowful of lives, and Duncan, the selfish husband to Justine can never be satisfied. Anne Tyler is unrelenting, just as life is for so many people, in allowing any of her characters to experience fulfilment - that's why she's my favourite writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars All in the Family, 8 Dec. 2006
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Searching For Caleb (Paperback)
Another Anne Tyler family saga, this time an overview of the extended Peck family, from Baltimore, where else! The family history of various generations of Pecks is described, all are great characters of course. Then the focus shifts to the life of Justine, contrasting her modern life with the lives of her forebears, and the search for a lost family member, the titular Caleb.

I think this is right up there with the best of Anne Tyler's novels and the included detective story makes it something different from her other books. As usual there are some unexpected twists along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying, 29 July 2009
hiljean (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Searching For Caleb (Paperback)
Searching is the theme of this typical Anne Tyler story of a dysfunctional family searching not just for Great Uncle Caleb but for meaning in their own lives, for answers about family relationships, for happiness, for peace of mind. Bittersweet but satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, beautifully written and observed, 22 Jun. 2013
Anne Tyler is one of my favourite authors. She draws her characters so well and she describes life as it is. No attempt is made to make a happy ending. I enjoyed this book so much following the haphazard life of the family in the quest to find Caleb and can't recommend it highly enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars unusual story telling, 23 Feb. 2015

2.0 out of 5 stars I did not like the people and could not get into it, 23 Jan. 2015
I have to admit I only ca 40pages.I did not like the people and could not get into it.
That is rare for me to give up on a book, especially Anne Tyler

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mistress, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Searching For Caleb (Paperback)
Anne Tyler is superb in all she does, only started reading her last year at partner's suggestion, now can't stop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Colourful, uplifting prose., 1 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Searching For Caleb (Paperback)
Justine is an irritating woman, however, she has a wonderful way of drawing me in to her life. I found her difficult to empathise with, as with other characters in the book. Despite this, the novel paints a colourful picture of smalltown life of a bohemian family. There is plenty of suspense and interest regarding the "search" for Caleb. The history of a family unfolds with little drama, but suprising turns of event nevertheless.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 14 Nov. 2014
Not one of Tyler's best. I gave up one third in to this novel. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good story well told that keeps you fascinated, 29 Mar. 2015
Archetypal Anne Tyler. A good story well told that keeps you fascinated.

Searching for Caleb
Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler (Hardcover - Dec. 1975)
Used & New from: £1.10