4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile reading!
I was recommended this book by lecturers at my university and I'm really glad I bought it. As a PhD student, I'm looking for anything (and everything!) that will help with my writing style!

Published on 12 Mar 2010 by Swottyboots

1.0 out of 5 stars They Say / I Say
This is an (awfully) American book. It does not just instruct you on how to write an academic text, it teaches you to write using cunning tricks. It's not "what should you do?", but "what can you get away with?"
Published on 25 Jan 2010 by J. W. P. Eijsbouts

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile reading!, 12 Mar 2010
This review is from: They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing (Paperback)

I love the templates they suggest - but I don't think it will be to everyone's taste. For me, it saves time and provides a suggested list of ways to e.g. agree (or disagree politely) with other researcher's work, for signalling a change in opinion, introducing quotes etc.

Beware of their use of "I" ("in my opinion..." "I believe..." "I agree..." - my research supervisors wouldn't be very happy if I wrote in the first-person!) but for some, this will not be a problem. But the authors do provide clever ways of saying the same things in the third-person

A lot of it is common sense, but it's a useful exercise to review the obvious things which have perhaps been pushed to the back of your mind.

A good book - not perfect - but certainly useful to any student... 4 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for essay direction, 4 Jan 2012
This book is excellent for students at all levels who are writing essay's, lots of awesome tips, great for confidence in writing skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 11 April 2013
i think that its one of the most useful books. its like ur 2nd friend. it has many templates so u can use to ur essays and it helps you to be an effective writter with many examples

1.0 out of 5 stars They Say / I Say, 25 Jan 2010
J. W. P. Eijsbouts (Netherlands) - See all my reviews

They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing by Cathy Birkenstein (Paperback - 29 Jan 2010)
15.07