5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Ellis
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by Michael Ellis

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - This is NOT an audio-book - it's a DVD!!
Bought this to listen to in the car - and I can't - it's not an audio-book. It's a DVD, which frankly I'm never going to have time to watch!
Published on 7 Nov 2011 by L. Rowles

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Ellis, 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology) (Hardcover)
Simply a great buy, as it explains the multiple and overlapping scientific fields which now form the foundation of 'counselling & psychotherapy' - in a readable (book) or engaging (CD) conversational format. It is not too much of a technical textbook for all it's 'science' and in many ways is an inspirational read. My students have found it understandable and useful - not just for the production of assessed work, but also for their personal development. Look up his other works, for the application of these groundbreaking ideas in, for example, parenting or mental health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Physician, heal thyself..., 10 Nov 2013
This is a very valuable handbook for therapists dealing everyday with the wounded of mind and spirit in our world. It provides a clearly set out theoretical framework based on recent developments in neuroscience (and carefully noting where these are still more speculative than established) as well as a lifetime of clinical practice.
Using a simple visual model of a plane on the x axis - or for the mathematically uncomfortable, let us say a suspended piece of wood, he shows how we can all move quickly from that plane of possibility up any one of many peaks to certainty of action, with a corresponding physical response below the plane (wood). When we reach the peak, we act in one specific way. If we move too quickly from plane to peak, we jump to conclusions, and are not open to other possibilities. Our capacity to see where our clients may be coming from may be blinded by our sitting on one summit far from their consciousness. He reminds us that there is no 'immaculate perception', that we all see things through our own lens of experience and training, but that we can by specific training develop our capacities to be more attuned and open to others' consciousness by better understanding and regulating ourselves.
He introduces a series of mindfulness exercises to be practices with the book, as he takes us through each aspect of development of mindsight - how we sense and shape energy and information flow in our lives, outlining each exercise, its relationship to a specific skill to be developed and the brain science which may underpin what is happening.
It is written clearly and the illustrations are good (I have the Kindle edition).
I will be reading and rereading this book. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A handbook for all therapists, 22 Jun 2013
Essential reading for all healthcare students and ongoing reflection with deep learning. Common sense with compassion and experience, based on neuro-biological evidence and knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 15 Feb 2013
Claire Martin (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I am reading this book a chapter at a time because it gives you a lot to reflect on and consider. This book will be very useful in my work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 14 Feb 2013
Putting together and making sense of many other things I'd read about the counsellor/psychotherapist. Really helps to develop the reflective way of being.

5.0 out of 5 stars very efficent, 21 Jan 2013
this book is very easy to read and digest would recommend it to other therapist that are interested in the mind of the therapist

5.0 out of 5 stars A master piece, 13 Jan 2013
Vasco Gaspar (Portugal) - See all my reviews
I think everyone who works with the minds of other people (psychologists, therapists, etc.) should have this book as a reference.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - This is NOT an audio-book - it's a DVD!!, 7 Nov 2011
L. Rowles (Cirencester, UK) - See all my reviews