5.0 out of 5 stars This should be compulsory reading for CAFCASS & family court Judges - so many STILL ignore PAS and its consequences, 26 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Adult Children of Parental Alienation Syndrome: Breaking the Ties That Bind (Norton Professional Book) (Hardcover)
Firstly, reading this book made me and my partner realise we are not alone. He thought the PAS had started AFTER his divorce but in actual fact realised, thanks to this book, that he has been "targeted" for many years throughout his marriage. Secondly, and sadly, it confirmed what my partner and I already suspected, that we may have to accept NEVER having contact with his children again. He is already quite elderly and time may not be on his side whilst waiting for his young(ish) family (it was a 2nd start for him) to be old enough to leave home and be away from mother's poisoning influence. He has been through the family courts (intensively in the last 2 years, on and off for 3 years before that) which DO NOT on the whole accept the dire consequences of PAS and they have now ordered "No direct contact" on the grounds of the children saying they are happy with the current situation - a situation created by their mother. Taking on board the advice from the book we will continue to try and maintain the indirect contact allowed and try to keep faith in knowing the children DO NOT really want to lose contact but are in a difficult situation. This book helped answer many questions and enabled us to come to terms with things we cannot change, plus helped with strategies for the future.
UPDATE MAY 2010 ... Since writing the above another excellent book (A Family's Heartbreak by Michael Jeffries)has been published and for me acts as a great companion to the above. It is a TRUE STORY and helped me as much as this book did so I urged you to take a look for yourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opening book, 18 Dec. 2009
Pekka Pere (Finland) - See all my reviews
This is a must read for anyone concerned with alienation of children from their parents including social workers and parents themselves. The topic is extreme; the tone is yet calm. Nevertheless, some of the results are alarming. For example, I was surprised to learn that it took on average 20 years for the alienated children to contact with their non-custodial parent after the alianation. It is a long wait. Eye opening results are also that both men and women make oneself guilty of alienating children from their other parent and that alienation can occur in an intact family, too.

Read this book. The world will look different.

4.0 out of 5 stars The anatomy of evil, 7 Sept. 2011
J. Neal "jneal" (Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
On September 12th 2008 my wife went to stay with her mother, taking the children with her. I never saw them again.

I wish I had read this book then. I was so naive, believing that as the days without contact with my children stretched into weeks that I would be able to get the responsible court appointees at Tunbridge Wells County Court to see sense and make some kind of order preserving my relationship with my kids. My wife became a full-blown hysteric during the meeting with the CAFCASS officer, and as I sat there in a state of shock at the raving lunatic that had apparently possessed my wife since last I saw her, he gave me reproachful looks, while nodding sympathetically at her. After she had explained to him that my children had apparently just 'decided' that they didn't love me any more the net result was that after 8 months of waiting for a little common sense, I 'won' the right to email my children, through their mother.

Thanks to one chance communication, I have heard since how she would read out my emails to the children in front of her entire family, and my children's grandparents, aunts and cousins would mock and ridicule my every word, twisting the meaning, and assuring my precious kids that I was an uncaring, deluded and selfish monster who deserved no consideration.

Other than that I have heard nothing. I worked for years to give my kids the best, paid to put them through private school and I'm still paying to this day to help with their expenses and yet I don't even know what they look like now, what they are doing with their lives, or even if they are alive (although I assume they are because the CSA keeps taking my money).

I wish I had read this book three years ago. Then I'd have known what was happening with my kids. Of course I'd have liked another book too, one which could have warned me that the UK courts system is morally bankrupt, that there are certain solicitors out there who make a living from destroying families and the wellbeing of young children and one that could have offered me hope of finding a place to put this immense well of pain, anger and incredulity that such monstrous injustices can be perpetrated on good, decent, loving Dads like me.

I miss my kids every day and this book has helped me to understand that I might always miss them. It's really hard, but at least I won't have to go on living in false hope any longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Also a recipe book for the manipulative parent, 24 Feb. 2010
This is an excellent and detailed book as the ratings reflect.

Sadly, it unavoidably gives clues as to how to strengthen bonds between the child and an insecure, possessive and manipulative parent at cost to the vilified parent.
As an example, it references the work of attachment theorists (John Bowlby et al) and the benefits of bad-mouthing the target parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST, 7 May 2008
L. Hilton - See all my reviews
AN ABSOLUTE MUST FOR EVERY TARGETTED PARENT.ENCOURAGING TO KNOW MOST CHILDREN UNDER THE SPELL ,HOPE THE ABSENT PARENT KNOWS THEY DONT REALLY MEAN WHAT WHAT THEY SAY.WELL DONE AND THANKS AMY.

5.0 out of 5 stars adult children of parental alienation, 11 Jun. 2010
This book is invaluable. having gone through the courts, i have had to come to terms with having no relationship with my three daughters, and my grandchildren. I have had counselling, therapy, trying to understand what is going on. The book has explained my entire life, i also realised the alienation was going on while my daughters were young. A whole side of one family has been wiped out of their lives, which they believe to be fine, even to the degree of alienating their younger siblings, (half sisters and brother) to whom they were all very close. sitting in court looking at my daughters, it was as though they were not there, i could not see my beautiful smiling girls. Asked by the Cafcass Officer if i would consider mediation with my ex husband, i wrote to him, he did not respond. offering mediation to my daughters over the years they also refused. For the last five years i have thought this was parental alienation, this book confirms that what i thought was true. How any parent could do this to the other parent of their children is beyond belief. The cycle will continue into each generation. Had the situation been the other way around, i would have encouraged my daughters to respect their father. You only get one mum and dad, and their are so many children out there who are denied that. This book was clear and very imformative. I have recommended it to others in my situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential research ref grown-up victims of Parental Alienation, 22 Dec. 2008
Wistiliamos (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This really is an essential read and companion to anybody who works in the family law system or sadly encounters Parental Alienation in their private lives.

The in-depth research based on the experiences of 40 child victims (now grown-up) is easily accessible and hugely valuable in informing how serious and long-lasting the effects of Parental Alienation can be many times.

This is destined to be an authorative text on PA and provides practical advice to those who come across it in their private lives or at work, in how to recognise PA, understand the serious effects and combat this Emotional Abuse.

I cannot recommend this book enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adult Children of Parental Alienation Syndrome, 8 Nov. 2012
For any person that is going through a divorce and one parent is turning the children against the other person. This is a must read book. It helps the parent that is being targeted understand where the children are coming from and helps the targeted parent not give up hope, as many of these children in later life, realise that what happened was wrong. The only reason I gave it stars is that it is pretty intense and heavy going, but it is certainly worth reading. Knowledge is everything and this books really does open ones eyes to the damage an alienating parent can inflict.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading on the subject, 14 Sept. 2013
This book should be essential reading for anyone working with children in a professional capacity. These are not the biased accounts of quarrelling parents; they are the narratives of children (now grown up) who were subjected to parental alienation. Some of the stories are harrowing. Parental alienation is child abuse. It should be put on the same footing as domestic violence. The consequences for the children and the alienated parent are just as dramatic. Apparently, the British Courts have been reluctant to recognise parental alienation syndrome. If that is the case, every judge, lawyer and mediator working in the family law field (including Cafcass) should read this book. The problem is I suspect they will cringe with embarrassment at how many times they may have colluded with an alienating parent in a miscarriage of justice. This book could be a profound catalyst for change. Well done Amy Baker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpfull, 3 Jun. 2011
As a divorced parent I've been dealing with PAS in the last 5 years, this book helped me seeing many details with other eyes, since then I've made a different approach to the situation.