5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you! This book will help many helping professionals., 23 Mar 2006
This review is from: Help for the Helper: The Psychophysiology of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma (Norton Professional Books) (Hardcover)
I read Help for the Helper cover to cover as soon as it arrived and all I can say is WOW and THANK YOU!! This is a book that addresses the needs of helping professionals--all sorts! Babette Rothschild begins the book with a preface on "Common Sense;" something we all need for taking care of ourselves (and our clients, for that matter). She's become a kind of champion of Common Sense in psychology and I'm glad to see her apply this important life-tool to the self-care of professionals. Her three central chapters begin with theory of neurophysiology: on Empathy, Arousal and Clear Thinking. She then goes on to outline things we can easily do to combat the consequences of our work and avoid burnout, vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue. Though the book examples are pointed to psychotherapists, the theory and the exercises will be useful to anyone (like me) in the helping professions. One thing that stands out is that she underscores us each finding the tools that help us best. She offers expert advice without having to be "the" expert. Consistent with her advocacy of common sense, she knows that each professional has to find his or her optimal combination of resources. For those who are interested in neurophysiology, this book covers cutting edge theories and research, including the recent discovery of mirror neurons. For the psychotherapist, sections on countertransference and projective identification offer a fresh view on these core concepts. I believe that anyone in the helping professions, including those who pitch in following disasters, will find this book to be a huge help for their own well-being.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for those working in the helping professions, 27 Nov 2010
Cautious (Greenwich ,London) - See all my reviews
I am a psychotherapist with 20 years experience, and I think this is a much neglected area in psychotherapeutic literature and therapy trainings. It is interesting to think about vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue, and how we sometimes need to 'turn down the empathy dial' to avoid 'burn out'. Importantly this does not mean we are not doing our job, indeed it means we can be more effective practitioners. Babette helpfully outlines the neurophysiology of the body's arousal system, how it can get activated in therapeutic work and the importance of 'keeping your edges', i.e. your sense of separateness from your client. She gives examples and strategies to manage burn out and stress, and stay in the calm. Yes a valuable book for experienced practitioners and trainees. Other useful books on this subject are 'The Resilient Clinician' and 'Bounce' both by Robert J Wicks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help for the Helper, 6 Oct 2009
J. Foster (Bolton England) - See all my reviews
I ordered this book for a friend, who is a trained psycotherapist. She says its very good. After reading it, however, although I am not a "helper" I can understand and use some of the strategies mentioned, to quite a good effect. I Found it really useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars practical and insightful, 28 Jun 2011
Very useful information and advice on working with and slowing down the trauma response but also in paying attention to self and applying common sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 7 April 2013
My friend recommended it and I am glad I bought it. I am studying to become a psychotherapist and the book really helps me understand what I sometimes go through with clients. What I really like about this book is that everything is based on common sense and it is easy to read. I would recommend it to new student counsellors. It has helped me make sense of parallel processes, compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma.

Thanks Babette!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stop my husband fighting me for it, 4 Dec 2013
We both agree this is so true and a brilliant book to help those of us who help others either via our work or socially. Any of us who have suffered burn-out should have had this available at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars text for workers, 14 Mar 2013
babette rothschild certainly knows her stuff. this is understandable and relevant for workers who work in a very emotional setting. brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 20 Feb 2013
Really excellent book teaching about vicarious trauma. Would recommend for all psychotherapists and counsellors particularly if they are at danger of burn out.