5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, practice linked book., 8 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Doing Couple Therapy: Integrating Theory with Practice (Paperback)
I have had this book for a few weeks and I have already read half of it, which is a first for me for a textbook. It is written by Americans, but this has not bothered me, even though American language would normally put me off.

I have really enjoyed reading the case study, which is about the same couple, and follows them through their therapy about several issues. This allows the author to talk you through different therapeutic techniques as well as identifying familiar themes that arise within couple work.

Each chapter within the case study section regularly links to the theories explained in the earlier part of the book. The snippets of theory are really palatable and help you to understand the reasoning for the technique used by the therapist. The theory they describe is written extremely well and I did not have a problem understanding the concepts or keeping tuned in to my reading, as often I will zone out when reading a section of theory.

As a clinical psychologist, with my existing training, I would consider this book sufficient to begin some simple couples work, with the supervision of an experienced couples therapist. However, the book has also highlighted to me how complex couples work is and how skilled you need to be to undertake it. The book would also be helpful for someone wanting to understand their own relationship better.

I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 12 Dec. 2013
I enjoyed how the book is set out as a counselling session and then describes what happened and methods used. I usually find reference books useful for just that but this book made me want to read further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Feb. 2013
I bought having starting a counselling course and have found this invaluable and very easy to access with detailed examples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful book, 6 Oct. 2014
I found this book to be very helpful especially after having attended classes and requiring something that would clearly demonstrate how to put what I learnt into practice. Although being based on the American system, it had a lot of all round useful information and techniques in it. Definitely recommend this for students starting out in couple therapy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Sept. 2014
Very informative and easy to reach book.

Doing Couple Therapy: Integrating Theory with Practice
Doing Couple Therapy: Integrating Theory with Practice by Barbara Rothman (Paperback - 3 July 2002)