As the title would imply this book is a dream come true for the soup lover, giving varieties from the hearty "Neeps and Tatties Soup" to the more acquired taste of cold soups like "Gazpacho Andaluz" or "Cold Cucumber and Avocado".

Of course no bowl of soup would be complete without a nice chunk of bread to go with it. Luckily Anna has made sure you don't go without by including a whole chapter on baking. It includes a few secret tips on how to make the perfect dough the easy way. Light side salads and a selection of accompaniments serve to give the reader a few more options as well as a smaller section covering a handful of desserts.

There is plenty of narration from Anna throughout this book from discussing how the flavours of the soups combine, to tales of her culinary journeys through Israel and beyond. If you love soup and a good read you couldn't find a better book.
on 11 August 2010
This is a great book. My husband and I were talking about reducing our carbon footprint (best way besides recycling is cutting down on meat). As a result we started going to the market regularly and buying lots of veggies. However, buying veggies, and actually cooking them (and eating them!) are two very different things. I got this cook book to help me come up with creative tasty ways of making vegetarian dishes besides the standard ratatouille. I am hooked, and make soup 3 or 4 times a week. The book is easy to read, and understand, although, unfortunately, has no photos. As a standard I hate cookbooks without photos (it takes more effort which isn't ideal when you have a very busy life style). I will make an exception for this book. Buy it!
on 11 January 2013
Anna Thomas is great. This book is full of lovely recipes, some of them you may have to adapt, as the ingredients may not be available in the UK, but mostly very easy. It has encouraged me to make vegetable stock from scratch instead of using a cube, and it certainly makes a difference. There aren't any pictures , which may put some people off, but the little stories make you feel like you are sitting down with a friend. It makes you want to get chopping and have a bowl of warming goodness. There are also some bread recipes, flatbread recipe and some 'sides'. if you like soup , but are needing some inspiration to try some different ingredients or new ways with same ingredients, this will be up your street. It's vegetarian, but most of the soups are pretty substantial, and just the stuff to share with friends.
on 23 August 2010
This book is so wonderful! Anna's whole view of food is amazing. Many soups are complex and need time to prepare, but then that's what tasting good food is all about! Some ingrediants are not avaliable in the UK, but equivalents can be found in the UK. Whatever time of year you need to make a soup...it's here. There are also lots of menu ideas which help when having guests over. The book would make a great gift. It's chunky and so beautifully illustrated.
on 8 November 2015
I remember the 'vegetarian epicure' in the 70's (when vegetarianism was pretty cranky) and it was THE book. Well I think this is the same now for soup lovers. I bought it with a soup maker (with a sauté function) and cannot stop experimenting with beautiful tastes and combinations. I think I've gone on a soup diet without meaning to! Easily the best book around if you're a veggie (or even if you're not but like veggie soup).
on 13 December 2013
Although the measurements etc. are American I've really enjoyed using this book and and have tries out loads of recipes already. I'm not vegetarian but all the recipes I have tried have been really tasty. I also like that the author has written a little note to go with each recipe and offered a menu plan. There are also lots of recipes for accompaniments to your soup such as bread, biscuits etc.
on 9 November 2009
Anna Thomas hasn't written a vegan cook book but there are so many bold upper case "V"s against recipes in the index that she almost has. Not surprisingly, perhaps, given the book's title is Love Soup, this is a cook book primarily of soup recipes. A significant proportion of which are vegan. It's the non-soup recipes that are primarily non-vegan, that is, they're vegetarian (see Chapter 17 "A few easy sweets"). Apparently, her two sons are vegan and she "shouts-out" to them in a brief "Vegan-Friendly" foreword.

I like cook books that can be read. Yes, colour photographs in a cook book are always interesting to study. Often, though, they don't always they make the dishes look appealing. Love Soup doesn't have colour photographs (there are some cheery two-colour illustrations by Annika Huett) and it's none the worse for it. This is because it's cook book to read, browse and savour. Anna Thomas's writing style is friendly and straightforward. "Cooking was always fun," she writes. "I never cooked professionally, so I always cooked only what I felt like cooking, for the people I loved." This sentiment is clearly apparent throughout the book.

The recipes are a mixture of traditional (e.g., "Old-fashioned split pea soup") and adventurous (e.g., Spicy Indonesian Yam and Peanut Soup). There are also recipes for "Big soups and stews" and "Hummus and company." I haven't made any of the recipes. I cannot write about whether they work and what the food tastes like. But I can say that looking through this book I'm inspired. It is one of those rare cook books. I may not ever cook any of the recipes. But I can honestly say that this book will inspire me to make even better soups just by thumbing through the pages and savouring what it has to share.
on 7 January 2010
Well, I was expecting a book about soup and that is what you get although this is a bit more like a telephone directory of soup. There are some really simple recipes in here and also some slightly more complex recipes. The only negative thing I can say is that some of the ingredients are more common to American shoppers that us in the UK. Being a Vegan this book is designed 'nearly' with us in mind. I recommend people get this book, even if you are a novice in kitchen the instructions are souper simple and the fact that there are no pictures means that you don't start comparing your soups with the book.