4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Up-to-Date, Easily Readable
This book reads a bit like a college-level health education text book and is not very technical, but it is an interesting read nevertheless. Each chapter discusses to varrying degrees the affects (positive and negative) of each drug class.
Published on 6 July 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Must Check Out
Published on 10 Mar 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Up-to-Date, Easily Readable, 6 July 1998
By A Customer
The authors go to great lenghts to claim that their information is completely unbiased. This clearly is not the case, but their opinions do not add much 'spin' to the book.
The information presented is very current (as of mid-1998).
Factual information is not very well documented: There are several items for which I would have liked to have the cited refernce, but they are not included.
This book will probablly be most appreciated by college students, high school students and teachers, and health care providers who do not have a strong scientific background.

3.0 out of 5 stars Must Check Out, 10 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This book by Cynthia Kuhn is a must have for recreational drug usersand older generation alike. This book gives a detailed description about the drug itself, as well as almost everything you wanted to know about the newer drugs that you might not have known to even exsist. Allthough she tends to stick to the basics, Cynthia delivers a wide variety of knowledge that would be considered helpful to anyone wanting to know about any kind of drug they can think of. It also include information on the effect as well as the social rammifications. Her writing,while informitive, tends to get a little mechanical. If you are all about information and knowledge, then this is your book. Another good aspect of the book is that the information in it is up to date and relavent, unlike some books that only have the basic info. Buzzed did lack in a few catigories. One, I feel that the author lacks creativity. The way the facts are delivered is just as important as tha facts themselves. I find that while books that deliver the straight information are good, books that offer the information in new and unique way tend to hold the reader. I know that she was only writing to give people/kids a book that contained the facts that were relivent to todays generation, but to better project that message, she might have put it to us a different way. Also as a way that parents could find out what it is all about, so that they can better make judgements. In conclusion, if you want to know more about the drugs you are doing or just want to know more that this book is on you should check out, it delivers current and updated information on all the drugs you knew about of didn't know about.

5.0 out of 5 stars What educators and parents need to know., 27 Aug 1998
By A Customer
I am a deputy sheriff in a Southern California county of more than 2.5 million residents. For 3 years I have been educating children and adults about the dangers of drugs. Finding complete, factual information about drugs commonly abused was not an easy task. My search was complete when I read "BUZZED." No scare tactics, no outdated statistics, and complete information in both easy to understand language as well as scientific details. I believe it should be used as both a textbook and a reference source by law enforcement, educators and health care professionals. Since reading the book I have had the opportunity to speak to the authors who I find very accessible, knowledgeable and motivated to educate. I hope they will continue their research and I look forward to further editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars An educational book much needed at this time in our country, 19 Aug 1998
By A Customer
While growing up my parents never taught me much about drugs and their effects. I was always told that drugs are bad and to stay away from them. That may have been easy for them to do, but I think it's hard for kids today to do so. Drugs are everywhere. All over the streets, in schools, homes, even on TV. Because I was not properly informed of the effects and consequences of these substances, I chose to experiment with almost any drug I crossed. This book is right on and the closest thing to actual experimentation I have found. It does not condemn drugs, nor does it try to make them sound appealing. It merely states the facts. I highly recommend, if you are a parent, that you read this and then to pass it on to your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is very informative., 16 July 1998
By A Customer
I am a university student and was very curious about drugs. No one could answer the questions I had about drugs. This book answered all my questions and gave me information I had never even thought about before. I think everyone should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable! taught me more than med school about streetdrugs, 15 May 1998
By A Customer
You say you've never done drugs? You have no intention of doing so? That's fine, but if there are there kids in your life, this is a book you should read.
If you're like me, you probably don't even realize how abysmally ignorant you are about the options in street drugs and what these drugs do (and with an MD degree, I have less excuse for ignorance than most people).
BUZZED is readable, unbiased and scientific, a perfect antidote to the usual fog of scare tactics and misinformation (not to mention the appalling silliness of "Just Say No").
The Chapel Hill (NC) schools have announced that they are putting this book into every school library. You should go one step further and put a copy into the hands of every adolescent you care about. You just may save some kid's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be required reading for all teenagers, 12 Feb 1998
By A Customer
For being a scholarly text on the effect of drugs on both body and brain, I was surprised when I couldn't put the book down! The approach of the authors (from Duke University Medical Center) is neither preachy nor permissive, just informative. The writing is scientific and accurate, but also very easy to understand. As an instructor for a college course on drugs of abuse, I am thrilled that such a book has been written and will use it in the future. I wish there was a source like this available when I was a teenager. I think this could be the most important book a parent could ever buy for their child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Texas reader is misinformed, 12 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Unfortunately, the reader from Texas who took exception to GHB being listed as a toxic drug knows not wherof he speaks. I am a psychologist employed by a major HMO as a drug dependency specialist. I have seen, firsthand, that withdrawal from GHB can lead to seizures and coma, and can be life threatening. Just about any of the drugs of abuse can be taken safely. That there are studies indicating GHB can bebeneficial is nice but irrelevant to whether or not it can also be harmful. The two are not mutually exclusive. Any worthwhile discussion of drugs looks at BOTH sides of the coin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Send your child off to college with this book...!, 17 May 1999
By A Customer
Once I knew of this book, I contacted Dr. Wilson to present at the local Professional nursing meeting. His candid, direct approach to the subject of drug use among young people spellbound us all. Even the nursing students there were interested in all he had to say. This book is a must for all high school, and middle-school libraries...yes, even that young! High Schools in our district have put copies in every school library. This valuable resource is worth every bit of its price!